1911 vs Glock Gen4

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Razorback01

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am trying to plan my next handgun acquisition. It's either going to be a Glock 17 Gen4 or 19 Gen4 or a 1911. I already have a Glock 17, 19, and 26...all Gen3's. I really want to try out a Gen4. I've also wanted a 1911 for quite a while. I've just always had trouble justifying paying twice as much as a new Glock costs for a 1911. I'm sure a lot of you have both. Any thoughts? Does a 1911 carry as well as a Glock? It's heavier, but thinner as well.

Z71

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get both...To my thinking a Glock is a excellent handgun and technologicaly superior to a 1911. However a good 1911 is a good 1911(they have bad ones too)..and will be a handgun to treasure.

Razorback01

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get both...To my thinking a Glock is a excellent handgun and technologicaly superior to a 1911. However a good 1911 is a good 1911(they have bad ones too)..and will be a handgun to treasure.

That will definitely happen in the future. However, right now I only have enough to get one or the other. I just bought a new Glock 17 and can only get one more gun. I have enough to get a new Glock if I can find the one I want but would probably have to save up a little more to get a 1911 that I'd want.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pick up the new Commander Ruger SR1911. I carry my full size SR1911 with zero problems. It carries much flatter than my Glock.

Razorback01

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pick up the new Commander Ruger SR1911. I carry my full size SR1911 with zero problems. It carries much flatter than my Glock.

That gun has everything I like...commander length, non-ambi safety, walnut grips, no rail, no GI sights/hammer/grip safety, made in USA. My only hang-up is the stainless finish. I know it's better but I'm more of a blued steel and walnut guy. That gun might change my mind though.

JMS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They're both great guns but they just do things differently. My advice would be to get a gen 4 glock and shoot the piss out of it for a couple of weeks. Then decide what gen you like better and get rid of one of the 17s. Glocks are so utilitarian, there's really no good reason to collect duplicates. Then in maybe a month or so you will have had time to really decide which 1911 you want and you can getcha one. But for god's sake man, don't get all chinsy with your money on a 1911. Get a nice one from the get go. But fwiw I have glocks and a nice 1911. I rarely shoot the 1911.

Latest posts

Top Bottom