1911 - Which brand/model is the best for the money?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW, Springfield Range Officers are not made in Brazil unless it says "made in Brazil" on the frame just like ALL Springfields. Otherwise they use the forgings from Brazil and finish the 1911s here.

As far as STI's Spartans go, they are made in the Phillipines by Armscor.

For the money I would go Sig or Ruger.

jayd

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes the STI Spartan has parts made by Arnmscor, not interested.

There are some good Sig deals on Gunbroker, local gun shop said that Sig has some none standard 1911 parts/design. For the money I think the Ruger is the best deal, if I could find one.

jayd

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a Ruger on Gunbroker, shipping and FFL costs make it over 800.00. Some dealers are saying that they'll be available early next year, online dealers have them listed from 579.00 - 649.00 would prefer to get it at these prices.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes the STI Spartan has parts made by Arnmscor, not interested.

There are some good Sig deals on Gunbroker, local gun shop said that Sig has some none standard 1911 parts/design. For the money I think the Ruger is the best deal, if I could find one.

You REALLY need to stop listening to "local shops." The only thing non tradition on some Sigs is the slide, as they now make "traditional" slide Sigs anways. The GSR Target I owned was fit just as well as a Springfield TRP.

longrangepistol

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Before you discount the STI Spartan I would look at what others are saying about it.

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/m1911/64284-sti-spartan.html

I've shot the Ruger SR1911 and it's a nice gun but it does not compare with my STI Trojan. I would go so far as to let you shoot my STI Trojan and or my custom Colt Series 70 next to an SR1911 and make your decision. It's your money but I wouldn't throw $$ into a Ruger unless you're wanting to put additional money into a trigger job and finishing the fit and finish.

PM Mike Cyrus here on OSA (olyeller), one of the best gunsmiths in the area and a hell of a USPSA shooter and ask him why he sells the STI Spartan. There are many other entry level 1911's Mike could sell but he sells the Spartan for a reason. Because of your price point don't limit yourself to one narrow group of entry level 1911's.

LRP

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW, Springfield Range Officers are not made in Brazil unless it says "made in Brazil" on the frame just like ALL Springfields. Otherwise they use the forgings from Brazil and finish the 1911s here.

As far as STI's Spartans go, they are made in the Phillipines by Armscor.

For the money I would go Sig or Ruger.

Ugh. Rugers. Makes a nice .22 lr but a 1911? Nah...not for me, I am not sold on 'em. YMMV

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom