2015 Garden Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
^^ I used to use a tiller similar to that one. They will make your life a lot easier. I would warn you that these machines can jump around if they hit a hard patch of clay or whatever. If your not holding on tight, it could jump out of your hands. If you are tilling very grassy areas, you may need to remove roots from the blades as the roots get tangled up pretty good.

There is a downside to tilling, which you probably know. Every time the earth is tilled, nutrients escape, mainly Nitrogen (in the form of ammonia, Nitrites, and nitrate). I would think tilling once a year won't rob your soil too quickly, and you can always supplement with fertilizer, compost etc. etc.

Couple of years ago I built raised beds (4x8ft) that I never have to till. I do have to weed by hand quite often though, but i typically wait until the soil is wet to weed.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had regular tillers before and you are correct. They beat you to death.

The vertical times are SUPPOSED to stop that. I'll let you know when I get to try it out.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah those little ones seem to jump around nonstop. A big one, like the one you got, only did it once maybe twice. Also, I was using it on soil that had not been tilled for decades.

Im curious to hear about your experience.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The wife is wanting to try straw bale gardening. I've read up on it but was wondering if anyone here has any real life hands on experience with it. Anybody got any input? Thanks in advance for any advice.

I tried it once. Didn't work for me. It wasn't in the world of YouTube, so I'd look some video's over and give it a shot.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The rear time definitely more stable and easier to handle than front time. I like mine, it takes me less than 3 hours to double till my 40x60 area. Last year, I started some raised beds instead of tilling more. This year, building 15 garden boxes. More for water conservation than reduced tillage, but studying more on no till farming.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The rear time definitely more stable and easier to handle than front time. I like mine, it takes me less than 3 hours to double till my 40x60 area. Last year, I started some raised beds instead of tilling more. This year, building 15 garden boxes. More for water conservation than reduced tillage, but studying more on no till farming.

SUPPOSEDLY the vertical tines eliminate the need to double till as well. We'll see! Also need to find some fence panels to keep the dogs and donkeys out of it.

Unfortunately I will end up getting a late start yet again since I'll be on the road for the next three weeks.

Yourshoesareuntied

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I built a greenhouse for my wife out of half inch EMT couduit and clear poly carbonate corrigated panels. Here are a couple of pictures of it, she uses it to start plants early. Mostly flowers, but some vegies as well. View attachment 46226View attachment 46227

That looks fantastic!! What is emt conduit? Is that the stuff with holes in it for suspending electric pannels?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Brought the tractor, sprayer, spreader and tiller home from the farm today. Garden season inbound.

Get it tilled, take a sample to send to OSU for soil analysis, and get started planting. Should have been there done that on some of those projects but the crappie and blue cat fishing has been too good. :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom