2023 Deer Pics/Chat/Excuses

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had low expectations when I walked out at 4:30am and it was light out this morning... like usual I was wrong. I've had a pile of bucks come by, one great buck but I'm afraid the Ole Barnett couldn't lob one out to 150. Few does but they were on the wrong side of the creek and I'm too lazy to drag them down through it and back up this side.
Call it lazy or maybe just smarter, but the older I get the more I analyze difficulty of the retrieval before taking a shot. :anyone:

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@Okie4570 looks like a carolina wren. They spend a lot of time in brush piles and are super curious.

With the weather finally cooling off, the doe herd has increased significantly as family groups start to mingle. Christmas night was the first time 4 groups all showed up to the backyard plot. They got a pass as i was more interested in time with the kids inside. 20231225_163402.jpg

Last night, i wrapped up work and sat on the porch around 515. By 520 the yard deer showed up (1 doe 2 yearlings). Next was the doe and 2 yearlings from the west. They're also regulars, so not on my list. Next was the group of 2 does and 3 yearlings from the east. They just started coming in the past few days and were targets. I waited for one mature doe from the east group to clear the others then surprised my wife and kids with a trigger squeeze (to be fair, i warned them before i went outside). First deer from the backyard and shortest drag I've ever had; 10' so i didn't have to drive the tractor into the plot 🤣
20231226_173342.jpg
20231226_180209.jpg
She had a ton of fat on her.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@makeithappen
The only thing wrong with that is you shot her in the evening. That’s rule number one for my place…”we don’t shoot does in the evening”. I hate trailing and cleaning deer in the dark and especially dark AND cold, and unless it’s a B&C quality buck, there’s no way I’m shooting a deer in the rain either. Heck, unless I have a big buck on camera, there’s not much chance of me even getting into a stand if there’s rain in the forecast.
Oh well, you do you, Boo Boo.🤣
Congrats on the yard nanny!!! :thumb:

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@makeithappen
The only thing wrong with that is you shot her in the evening. That’s rule number one for my place…”we don’t shoot does in the evening”. I hate trailing and cleaning deer in the dark and especially dark AND cold, and unless it’s a B&C quality buck, there’s no way I’m shooting a deer in the rain either. Heck, unless I have a big buck on camera, there’s not much chance of me even getting into a stand if there’s rain in the forecast.
Oh well, you do you, Boo Boo.🤣
Congrats on the yard nanny!!! :thumb:
Yeah, i broke my own rule on it too but.... the non-resident does only come in during the evening, so they forced my hand. I made sure there was no tracking needed due to shot placement and had her in the cooler with the carcass buried by 8pm. Not terrible. 😏

Latest posts

Top Bottom