2023 Deer Pics/Chat/Excuses

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went Friday evening hoping the nice buck that had been coming through the last few days would make another appearance. Well he did. 40 yards farther south than I expected. Caught my wind and bolted.

He showed up later that night at another feeder so he's still around.

My dad is planning to add some corn to a couple of the feeders to see if he'll start hitting them regularly between now and 1/15. Now I just need to figure out if I can take a day or two off during the work week to try and get another shot to increase my chances.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thought I'd take some pictures of my processing rig while quartering my doe today. My chains for attaching the gambrel, the winch in my truck's receiver, and my spray rig. Not seen in the pictures is a small printer table converted to hold knives and attached 12v LED lights for night work ( tho' I really don't plan on using that again--night time
deer_gambrel.jpg
deer_winch.jpg
deer_spray_rig.jpg
cleaning was no fun)

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Cold and windy and they're hitting the corn early and heavy this evening.......and we're not in the stand and should have been. The one my son is after has only been coming through in the mornings and he's not been able to go, so we were going to go tonight anyway, but we didn't and should have. He's been there for almost an hour now lol 🙃 Hopefully he'll still show in the morning.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thought I'd take some pictures of my processing rig while quartering my doe today. My chains for attaching the gambrel, the winch in my truck's receiver, and my spray rig. Not seen in the pictures is a small printer table converted to hold knives and attached 12v LED lights for night work ( tho' I really don't plan on using that again--night time View attachment 441696View attachment 441697View attachment 441698cleaning was no fun)

Nice.

I bought one of these several years ago. It makes cleaning and loading so much easier.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/hme-truck-hitch-game-hoist-kit?a=2248499

Coach_1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My youngest son (14) decided he wanted to start hunting a couple days ago so I got him signed online for his hunters Ed. Completed it yesterday. We didn’t see anything in the evening sit and nothing again this morning. We were running late and almost didn’t go this evening but I’m sure glad we did. He was able to get one of the younger cull bucks we wanted to get rid of. I’ve taken a lot of kids hunting and some have shot some big deer. My oldest son’s first deer was a 156” 11 point. None of the kids were more excited than Stevon was. He was a basket case and we had to call everyone and let them know. He even wanted to learn how to process it so he helped me quarter it out and put it on ice. He’s always shot with me in the backyard and at the range and was a NASP shooter so I knew he would hit the 25 yard shot if he could fight off the buck fever and he did great. The arrow hit the heart and redirected up through the right lung and exited. Deer ran 30 yards spewing blood paused and fell over and blood was pumping out the top. Exit wound was facing upward. Never seen that before. Those QAD Exodus broadheads sure do a good job as most any would shot were this one was.
Very happy dad here! Plus we don’t have to go sit in the freezing cold in the morning.
IMG_5578.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My youngest son (14) decided he wanted to start hunting a couple days ago so I got him signed online for his hunters Ed. Completed it yesterday. We didn’t see anything in the evening sit and nothing again this morning. We were running late and almost didn’t go this evening but I’m sure glad we did. He was able to get one of the younger cull bucks we wanted to get rid of. I’ve taken a lot of kids hunting and some have shot some big deer. My oldest son’s first deer was a 156” 11 point. None of the kids were more excited than Stevon was. He was a basket case and we had to call everyone and let them know. He even wanted to learn how to process it so he helped me quarter it out and put it on ice. He’s always shot with me in the backyard and at the range and was a NASP shooter so I knew he would hit the 25 yard shot if he could fight off the buck fever and he did great. The arrow hit the heart and redirected up through the right lung and exited. Deer ran 30 yards spewing blood paused and fell over and blood was pumping out the top. Exit wound was facing upward. Never seen that before. Those QAD Exodus broadheads sure do a good job as most any would shot were this one was.
Very happy dad here! Plus we don’t have to go sit in the freezing cold in the morning.
Awesome, congrats to the kiddo!!!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Cold and windy and they're hitting the corn early and heavy this evening.......and we're not in the stand and should have been. The one my son is after has only been coming through in the mornings and he's not been able to go, so we were going to go tonight anyway, but we didn't and should have. He's been there for almost an hour now lol 🙃 Hopefully he'll still show in the morning.

Well he was a no show this morning, but we did see him standing out in the wheat eating with some does when we left lol.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very happy dad here! Plus we don’t have to go sit in the freezing cold in the morning.View attachment 441751
Congrats to the young Hunter!

Latest posts

Top Bottom