2023 Deer Pics/Chat/Excuses

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just got through putting up a 14’ 2 man ladder stand behind my house. I hate putting the dang things up by myself, but I got it done with only a little cussing and a small amount of blood spilled.
IMG_3569.jpeg

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I often think game cameras can be a bad thing (for me), because as of this morning, I don’t have a single buck on camera that I will shoot. That being said, if I don’t have a particular buck to hunt, I’m more than likely not getting in a stand. I still have to come up next week to get the house opened up and do some final preparations for my son and daughter in law, but unless I need to sit in a stand with my DIL, I probably won’t stay up there the whole time with them. According to the solunar calendar, the 12th-16th is going to be a better time to hunt, and I try to always be in the stand around the new moon in October anyway.
I’m really hoping the mature bucks I had on camera in June and July show back up, or this may be a long season. :rolleyes2

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I often think game cameras can be a bad thing (for me), because as of this morning, I don’t have a single buck on camera that I will shoot. That being said, if I don’t have a particular buck to hunt, I’m more than likely not getting in a stand. I still have to come up next week to get the house opened up and do some final preparations for my son and daughter in law, but unless I need to sit in a stand with my DIL, I probably won’t stay up there the whole time with them. According to the solunar calendar, the 12th-16th is going to be a better time to hunt, and I try to always be in the stand around the new moon in October anyway.
I’m really hoping the mature bucks I had on camera in June and July show back up, or this may be a long season. :rolleyes2
Yes, I too am a little disappointed as to what I'm seeing ( or not seeing ) on my cameras this year. I'll be out there anyway but my expectations are waning.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Our buck activity came to a screeching halt a couple weeks ago. FINALLY had one show yesterday morning that I would let walk but it was nice to see. To bad it was foggy and the clarity is so-so.
1FF6AA90-5C24-40D9-AE7D-3FBDCA616933.png

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our buck activity came to a screeching halt a couple weeks ago. FINALLY had one show yesterday morning that I would let walk but it was nice to see. To bad it was foggy and the clarity is so-so.
View attachment 411399
I’m actually still getting A BUNCH of buck pictures every day, but they’re all 18 month to 4 year olds. If they hang around and avoid getting shot by the neighbors, there’s some potential for trophy bucks over the next few years.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm guilty of putting too much faith in cameras at times. I have one in the backyard overlooking the food plot and witnessed 8 deer out there. The camera is placed in a great spot but... it only saw 2 deer. I try (and fail occasionally) to remember that a camera won't catch everything and only offers a narrow view into the area. Heck, just the delay between pictures can lead to missing several deer.

*The above is me talking into the mirror*

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@retrieverman you're gonna feel that tomorrow. Trying to get it beyond the balancing point really sucks on double stands.
Put an extension ladder behind the tree and pull the ladder stand up easily with no issues. It sucks trying to put one up by pushing it into position and dangerous.
The ladder behind the tree is a safe way to do that and much safer when having to add the straps that anchor it to the tree.

Latest posts

Top Bottom