2023 Deer Pics/Chat/Excuses

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bucks have started hitting our feeders more than the previous couple of weeks. Jury duty didn't pan out today so after working Tuesday-Thursday of this week I'll be heading out again on Friday to see what I can see with my crossbow. Might take a rifle just in case I see a nice bobcat or something else with fur. :)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No big bucks here. Froze in the saddle yesterday morning until I couldn't move the toes on my left foot. Kinda cool to see snow on the ground, even though I hate the cold. Back in the saddle at 2PM, and the temp was warmer but the wind was brutal. Does actually showed up where I expected at 430. Can't eat antlers.

Can summer come back now, please?
Do you have a pic of what a saddle is? I’ve been seeing that across the net, but no pics.
No horse saddles from you jokesters. Lol!

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you have a pic of what a saddle is? I’ve been seeing that across the net, but no pics.
No horse saddles from you jokesters. Lol!
I always called the area between two hilltops the saddle. At least everyone around here does.
Edit to add. Think of the two humps on a camel. The part in-between would be the saddle.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had to look up hunting saddle, never heard of them. No thanks, looks uncomfortable like the fold up chairs that squeeze your hips.
Nah, it's similar to what linesmen use to climb poles. Properly set up, I can sit/stand comfortably for hours. It took some getting used to (I bought mine in April) but now it's great. I was just saying yesterday I may get rid of a couple stands because I don't use them any more.

The only downside is it's not easy to crossbow hunt from it, though I did manage some success earlier this year. With some practice that will no doubt be easier. My very long muzzleloader is not geared for saddle hunting (or any climbing hunting) - but I made it work as well. I used an AR Sunday, as short and light is the ticket.

The huge advantage to saddles is A. they are lightweight, B. I can climb trees that would be inaccessible with a standard climber.

FWIW, I have a fear of heights and I feel safer in the saddle than I do a traditional climber. The only comparison safety-wise is a Tree Lounge, but that's fairly heavy and noisy.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_0323.jpeg

you can tell from this pic (from the saddle) that the tree I'm in isn't a telephone pole. It's a gnarly, forked, multi-branched disaster. It's also the only tree on the south side of this meadow that gives me a view. I would have been unable to successfully hunt this area without it.

That being said, a better tree would have been preferable. There will be some tree trimming up there in January.

Latest posts

Top Bottom