.22-250 Long range deer hunting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larry123

New to the site!
Reaction score
The 22-250 is a great for long range varmint hunting, but with white tails I would limit the range to 150 yards. This is due to the fact that even with the factory load I use (Cor-bon 62 gr. DPX) has very little energy despite retained velocity at extended ranges. This combination is however, excellent at leveling deer inside of 150 yards, beyond that it does not have the energy. Terminal performance is astounding, entrance holes under the hide are comparable to exit wounds caused by much larger calibers such as the .308 Win or 30-06 Springfield. The entrance wound consist of a rather large hole about the size of a baseball that tapers as it passes through the the chest cavity. Don't expect a pass through unless the deer is under 100 pounds. The loads I use are as listed-Winchester 64 gr. power point- Cor-bon 53 & 62 gr. DPX- Federal Premium 55 gr. Nosler Partion- These are the best factory load is the Cor-bon 62 gr. DPX at the top of the heap followed by the Winchester 64 gr. Power Point. All other factory loads except what I have listed should not be used for deer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom