.22 as a CCW?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I could see carrying a 22 mag, right now my only pistol is a full sized Glock. I manage to always find a way to carry it, that being said I would carry a 22 mag revolver if I had one. Not very often, but for those "we are out of milk and need some before morning" runs where you just throw stuff on, it would be nice to be able to just slide into a pocket. I would only carry it in a revolver though, due to the rimfire reliability issue.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
As a backup sure. One factor that I think is overlooked for all these BUG's, is that with such a small gun and caliber, it is even more critical to be proficient with the weapon. And .22 mag is a lot more available, and I'd wager cheaper, than .32 acp or such. I don't own one, so I don't know if the cheaper is true, but I have sure seen .22 mag in a lot more stores with a lot more selection than .32 acp. This would allow the person using said gun as a BUG to practice more often and in more quantity than a comparable .32. I'd personally rather carry a .22 mag and be proficient with the gun and confident in it's ability to go bang, or to clear it if it doesn't, than carry a .32 that I shoot 25 rounds through a year.

But, that said, is that AutoMag really any smaller (or cheaper) than say a KelTec P3At, or even the PF9 or Kahr PM9?

DaveTec

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a nice little .22mag NAA derringer with the clip on plastic device:
awww.naaminis.com_pix_cc22_hgmt.jpg

Clips to the inside of shorts, or sweats, and fits in some watch pockets in jeans. When clipped to the inside of a pocket, it looks like a knife or an old beeper or something.

Out of the 5 shots, 2 or 3 I load as shot shells. It would be a strictly gut punching gun.

It would be a BUG's bug.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have my preferred carry weapons, and just wanted to toss this idea around. Looking at tissue damage in small to medium game, it looks like it would be Ok if nothing else was available. I will say this, it is one of the loudest guns I've ever heard. I use hearing protection, and its still loud and has one heck of a fireball coming out the 3 5/8" barrel. Its designed to be a rifle round so there is lots of powder getting burned outside the barrel.

Sturgell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have my preferred carry weapons, and just wanted to toss this idea around. Looking at tissue damage in small to medium game, it looks like it would be Ok if nothing else was available. I will say this, it is one of the loudest guns I've ever heard. I use hearing protection, and its still loud and has one heck of a fireball coming out the 3 5/8" barrel. Its designed to be a rifle round so there is lots of powder getting burned outside the barrel.

I have seriously contemplated getting one of the NAA mini revolvers with interchangeable 22lr and 22 mag cylinders. They are TINY and the 22 mag is a very potent little cartridge, just under a 380 in terms of kinetic energy. Many people have probably noticed the same thing that I have, a small bullet going really fast does some NASTY tissue damage especially with a violent expanding hp.

Latest posts

Top Bottom