.22 as a CCW?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seriously,I dont think theres anybody on this board who would carry a .22 as a CC or even have one around for HD. Most of us just plink with em. Maybe a BUGs BUG,but with .38s and .380s being so inexpensive it just wouldnt make sense to only have a .22 around.

But. On the other hand, I wouldnt want to get shot with one. Ive been shot at twice and hit once and it didnt feel good. I was a dumbass in the wrong place at the wrong time. I sure didnt call out and ask what I got hit with. I got the hell out of there.

I would imagine that most BGs breaking and entering are there to burgle,not kill. If a .22 is all you have at the moment then it seems to me that a few well placed shots with a .22,even though it isnt going to kill them or maybe not even stop them,would still be a good deterrant. It makes sense to me that surely they aint gonna want to stick around to see what it is youre shooting them with. If youre getting shot at are you even going to question the calibre of what youre getting shot with? Not me. Surely the odds are that anybody shot with anything is not going to charge at you but more than likely they will get going as fast as they can-in the other direction. And,yes,I did think about what if they return fire. Well then if that happens youre screwed there anyways no matter what youre shooting them with. Anyways. I dont know any of this for sure because it has never happened to me.

I do shoot at an old wooden door I have set up down on my land when I go down there to ride our moto bikes and plink around with my .22 rifle and .22 revolvers. Both, the CCI MiniMags and the cheapo Remington Golden Bullet HPs go right thru the door-rifle mostly but the revolver does get some thru. I dont own a .22 pistol so dont know what they would do. I dont trust em. The ones Ive had had too many FTFs. And I dont like to waste my CCI Velocitors on plinking soI dont know what they will do,but I'm sure they would go thru also.

I'll stick with my 9mm's for CC and SD and my tactical 12gg and 9mm for HD and save my .22s for target practice.

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bigger holes = more bleeding.

22LR or 22 Mag may eventually be lethal, but so much of self defense is neutralizing the threat as quickly as possible.

I have a textbook on Gunshot Wounds that describes a situation where a crackhead thief broke into a house, was shot several times by the homeowner armed with a 22LR, was run off as a result, and returned to his home to crash on his sofa to sleep it off; only to die overnight as a result of bleeding internally. The Police found his shoes kicked off next to him, and a hamburger wrapper wadded up in one of the shoes...

If I pull a gun, I want some certainty that the ballistic energy available will reprioritize the threat either by dropping him in place or otherwise slow and stop his progress toward me or a loved one. 22LR or 22 Mags just don't inspire confidence to that end.

I'm not an LEO, I have had no training, nor am I particularly educated on the subject... but the conclusion that bringing any gun is better than being caught with no gun, and a bigger caliber is better than a small one makes good sense to me...

I would love to read that textbook.

rw1341

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The .22 mag on your person is better than a larger frame weapon in the drawer at home. I carry a Glock 21 just about 24/7 but my secondary, that's always there for me, is a .22 mag NAA revolver in the front pocket.

WFT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure why anyone would carry a 22 with all the great ultra small ccw out there. Like the ruger LCP, it's a .380, and with the right ammo it can do a lot of damage.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure why anyone would carry a 22 with all the great ultra small ccw out there. Like the ruger LCP, it's a .380, and with the right ammo it can do a lot of damage.

I wonder how 22mag does in a pistol... I know 22Mag is hotter than 380, at least 22Mag out of a rifle barrel is...

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After the gangsters the other night in Tulsa were shooting at each other with assault rifles,then I have rethought this and my .22s are staying put up for plinking only. I now think that having anything less than 9mm while out and about or especially at home is just dumb. For me. Even as back up. What someone else thinks about it is their business.

TheLastDaze

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OP, I have no problem with that round what-so-ever even in a primary ccw circumstance. Matter of fact I remember as a kid it seemed smaller calibers is what most people carried. I have an old Beretta Jetfire .25 that I'll carry any day of the week without a worry this wouldn't do the job (once I replace the recoil spring) I just may carry it, with of course another mag.

Just shoot that gun and make sure the rounds you're gonna carry function and function well with it. A gun in the hand is better then a gun at home..

Latest posts

Top Bottom