.22 as a CCW?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mouseguns has lots of articles under 22cal:
http://www.mouseguns.com/amball.htm

Here is my favorite:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504301&page=1

This is just my opinion - all handguns are bad human stoppers. It's obvious that a .45 cal will leave a bigger hole than .22, but in reality the advantage is moot - hit is a hit, miss is a miss.

I've tested 45acp, 9mm and 22lr on a cow skull - in my experience 45 was more likely to ricochet at steep angles.

As mentioned before the biggest drawback of rimfire is poor igntion.

Repubiman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Man I don't know. I saw a guy that came into the ER and had been shot 4 times in the back with a .22. Story was him and his buddies car broke down on the highway late at night and as he was walking to town, some guys
stopped, got out of a vehicle and chased him and shot him in the back
as he ran away.

His story had more holes in it than he did. Anyway, he was able to get away
and live to tell about it. Wasn't even in critical condition with the four bullets
lodged in him.

Compare that to the story of the kid I saw that was a victim of a driveby
and one round of .45 hit him in the lower jaw bone. It shattered the jaw in
several places, broke off a molar and lodged near his carotid artery in his neck. Needless to say he was in critical condition, but lived.

So, I think I'd go with something a little bigger if I was you but if .22 is all you
have than it's better than nothing. But in my opinion not by a lot.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man I don't know. I saw a guy that came into the ER and had been shot 4 times in the back with a .22. Story was him and his buddies car broke down on the highway late at night and as he was walking to town, some guys
stopped, got out of a vehicle and chased him and shot him in the back
as he ran away.

His story had more holes in it than he did. Anyway, he was able to get away
and live to tell about it. Wasn't even in critical condition with the four bullets
lodged in him.

Compare that to the story of the kid I saw that was a victim of a driveby
and one round of .45 hit him in the lower jaw bone. It shattered the jaw in
several places, broke off a molar and lodged near his carotid artery in his neck. Needless to say he was in critical condition, but lived.

So, I think I'd go with something a little bigger if I was you but if .22 is all you
have than it's better than nothing. But in my opinion not by a lot.

Anecdote = data?

OologahBiker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have carried for about 8 years and i will tell you in my experience it gets old carrying even the smallest of weapons i still have large weapons i carry but i recently bought a 22 to carry to have a break from always carrying such a large weapon that is hard to conceal or too uncomfortable to carry concealed

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I often carry a beretta 21a when wearing lightweight clothes.It also fits perfect in the inside pocket of a carrhart jacket.Its a nice break from the bigger guns.Even a j-frame or a glock 26-27 is tough to hide when its really hot outside.I think the 22 has a place in the ccw world.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldn't trust my life to one.

If, for whatever reason, I absolutely had to carry something that small I'd go with the .25 ACP in a heartbeat.

I've seen comparisons between those two with them coming in neck and neck, but I'd venture to guess that the .22 data they were using for the comparison was from a rifle, not a small defensive pistol.

Plus the .25 has centerfire reliability.

But that's almost a moot point nowadays, with concealable 9mms like the Kahr PM9 and Kel-Tec PF-9 and P-11s. Heck, I think they even made a P-40 and P-357 for a short time.

There's almost no excuse (short of absolutely not being able to handle the recoil of the bigger calibers in the smaller guns) to carry something that small with the great selection of CC pistols we have nowadays.

Just my 2¢

pocketcarry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I am on the ????? side. I have fired give or take a few around 3000 rounds thru my naa minis and have had no problems with reliability. If you have that problem it is not the ammo, but the gun. Have a great day.

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Automag .22 mag, and thought it might be acceptable as a CCW if nothing else is small enough to fit the pocket.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_automag.jpg

The AMT AM is only slightly smaller than a Glock 9mm. :anyone: I've seen(and worked on)more than a few people shot; talked with most of the folks that did the shooting. My personal selection is the largest caliber that I can shoot most rapidly, on-target. for me, that's 9mm. Between .22 LR and .22WMR, I'd use the LR because it is less abusive to the shooter, in noise and flash. Between the AMT AutoMagII and a Glock 19 or 26- I'd carry a Glock.:)

Latest posts

Top Bottom