.22 revolver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Of currently available .22 wheelguns the best double-action option is the S&W 617. I recommend the 4", 10-shot version.

It's costly. New price is painful, and the used market is scarce because owners love these guns and hold onto them, but you will never regret the purchase.

It's one of the only ways left (in new guns) to get a .22 revolver with a decent DA trigger.

A mark of my esteem for the 617: I sometimes choose to go to the range with just that revolver and several hundred rounds of .22 -- no other guns. It can entertain me and hold my attention for hours.

PS: If you like single-action cowboy aesthetic, Ruger Single Six is the obvious choice. I prefer the blued versions because they are lighter than the stainless (blued have aluminum grip frame). I think Single Sixes are a bit variable in terms of how well they shoot .22LR, but there seem to be plenty of good ones out there and their owners love 'em.

A blued 4 5/8" Single Six weighs half a pound less than a S&W 617. That puts the SS within the realm of a carry gun for me. Always imagine it would be great to get a sweet leather carry rig and tote one around my (nonexistent) rural homestead.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom