243.6lbs-193.6lbs=50lbs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Proof that if I can do it, anyone can. Started on April 15th eating between 1000 and 1500 calories per day, 1-2 liters of water/tea per day. Eating 100-150 calories at a time throughout the day, and as few carbs as possible when possible. DOCUMENT AND CALCULATE EVERY CALORIE YOU EAT/DRINK and when you get to your target amount, STOP eating that day. There are calorie apps that you can keep track of your calories with, or I just used a notepad app and wrote it down each time I ate. I've not been under 200lbs since my freshman year of high school, and I was around 215lbs when I graduated, but with little body fat. That's not the case anymore as far as the body fat goes lol. Zero exercise, zero fasting and starving. Worked for me and feel so much better. I've not had a hard time in the last 30y with my A1C really ever, being Type 1, but I had to really turn my insulin pump down this time. My A1C three weeks ago was 5.4 and has always been between 6.4 and 7. The first two weeks back in April were the hardest of course, after that it was no big deal. There were a couple of weeks in June during wheat harvest that didn't lose much, and the last couple of weeks I didn't lose much because of schedules, eating schedules, etc. If I would have been a little more diligent those weeks, I probably could have lost it three months rather than taking four. Give it a try if nothing else has been working. If you don't think you can survive on 1000-1500, just try 2000-2500 first. Most folks don't realize how many calories they eat during the day. It's not hard to eat three meals a day, and snack in between and reach the 3500-4500 calorie mark.

That whole BMI thing is crazy too imo. 5' 8" and 193lbs is still 29.3 and considered "overweight", 29.9 is obese. I would have to lose 30lbs more to get into the "healthy weight" category. I've not weighed that since the 5th grade! BMI doesn't take into account shoulder width, leg length to torso length ratio, body fat %, etc I guess?

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That whole BMI thing is crazy too imo. 5' 8" and 193lbs is still 29.3 and considered "overweight", 29.9 is obese. I would have to lose 30lbs more to get into the "healthy weight" category. I've not weighed that since the 5th grade! BMI doesn't take into account shoulder width, leg length to torso length ratio, body fat %, etc I guess?
I might be mistaken, but that is the reason why the military used to "tape" people, as in measure chests, arms, neck, etc. If you had huge arms, chest, etc, getting taped would mean you still made weight. Not sure if they do that nowadays.

And congrats on the weight loss and healthier habits! I do have one question: are you retired? I've tried to eat less/healthier, but its hard to do while at work, at least for me.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
I might be mistaken, but that is the reason why the military used to "tape" people, as in measure chests, arms, neck, etc. If you had huge arms, chest, etc, getting taped would mean you still made weight. Not sure if they do that nowadays.

And congrats on the weight loss and healthier habits! I do have one question: are you retired? I've tried to eat less/healthier, but its hard to do while at work, at least for me.

I have an alarm set on my phone that goes off every 2 hours from 6am to 10pm, it was the only way I could remember or stay on a consistent routine.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats on the weight loss!
Sounds like the GOLO diet plan.
We met a traveling nurse once using that. Pretty much the same routine you're doing.
On the app, he checked out all the calories what food he selected would accumulate to over a 24-hour period and adjusted his diet accordingly.
In the evening, when we were all sitting around visiting at someone's RV, he would say he was still a couple hundred calories short, so he could have a cocktail or two, but he never went over.
He had a pretty dramatic weight loss from pictures he showed us that was then and now, so he was sold on the plan.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Congrats, Bobby! I never would have guessed you were carrying that much weight. Good on you!
Thanks, yeah that's why the BMI thing is so screwy imo. I never looked like I weighed even close to that, but if I were to get down to 160lbs, I'd look like I only had a few days to live I think lol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom