.270 Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Relentless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Owning a Rem700 in 270 (an ADL) with the older trigger that was bought used for $375, I can attest to their quality.
Is the Accutrigger better...probably. Is the remington just as accurate as a mid-range Savage rifle...probably. Can they be modified to a higher level...yes.
Go with want you want...but the 700 has probably the highest bang for your buck.

I haven't seen a used 700 for that price in a long long time. I can't share your opinion that a 700 is the best bang for the buck....ever. I used to shoot M77 and 700's but I like it when all the holes in my targets touch, so I shoot savage now

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't seen a used 700 for that price in a long long time. I can't share your opinion that a 700 is the best bang for the buck....ever. I used to shoot M77 and 700's but I like it when all the holes in my targets touch, so I shoot savage now

Last year at Wanenmacher's. it came with rings, a beauty of a stock, and a gunsmith-tuned perfect trigger.

When it comes to the rifle, your mileage may vary.

Soonr80

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do tell where the OP will find boolits to shoot outta his new rifle if he goes 308?
I've seen 270 everywhere plus it recoils less and does most everything most people can do with 308.

Nail on the head. Plus the wife is small and a little recoil adverse, and she will be shooting it some.

The Tikka is just of my price range.

I am leaning toward the Savage combo mainly because of the Nikon scope I really like the BDC reticle.

Thanks for all the impute, well most of it anyway

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with a .270, and as a general purpose gun, I think it's great. Don't let anyone talk you out of a Savage, I have never heard any REAL reason for avoiding Savage. Most people's reason for staying away from Savage is that it's not a Winchester/Remington. I own a nice Savage .308 and LOVE it.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nail on the head. Plus the wife is small and a little recoil adverse, and she will be shooting it some.

The Tikka is just of my price range.

I am leaning toward the Savage combo mainly because of the Nikon scope I really like the BDC reticle.

Thanks for all the impute, well most of it anyway

Then go for it! 270 is pretty damn cool.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with a .270

Let's see:
wrong caliber - check
wrong parent case - check
wrong bullet weight for caliber - check
poor bullet selection - check
poor efficiency - check
excessive recoil - check

There is seriously nothing RIGHT with 270. Even the premise of the cartridge was "wrong": copy 7x57 without actually copying it. Solution - invent a "different" 7mm and shove it in obsolete 30-03 case...

OP: if you want all around rifle with low recoil - you should look into 243 or 7mm-08: down range they will be very close (if not identical) to 270 but recoil will be greatly less.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let's see:
wrong caliber - check
poor efficiency - check
excessive recoil - check

There is seriously nothing RIGHT with 270. Even the premise of the cartridge was "wrong": copy 7x57 without actually copying it. Solution - invent a "different" 7mm and shove it in obsolete 30-03 case...

OP: if you want all around rifle with low recoil - you should look into 243 or 7mm-08: down range they will be very close (if not identical) to 270 but recoil will be greatly less.

A short-action fanatic I see.

What the heck is wrong with a .270 bullet? you just advised a .243 (smaller) or a 7mm (equivalent?)
Excessive recoil? The 308 recoils more and it only gives a bit more performance.
So 130 to 150 is poor bullet selection? (even though 110 or even 90 grain can be reloaded for varminting)
But the 147 to 180 range of 308 is so very different? :anyone:

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Looking to buy a .270 in the next month, I am leaning toward a Savage Trophy Hunter XP. I would love to hear any experiences, and/or opinions with this or any other options.

Thanks

Let's see:
wrong caliber - check
poor efficiency - check
excessive recoil - check

Here's my take on it...

OP (see quoted text) says he wants a 270, and then says what rifle he has looked at, and asks for opinions . My take on that is he has made up his mind on the caliber, and is trying to decide on the rifle.

1, whats wrong with a 270? Well, for the "average" person just wanting a hunting rifle I figure they may shoot a couple of boxes a year through it at the MOST. It will do an adequate job on almost any game animal within our state or the surrounding ones, ammo isn't crazy expensive, and it is a bit more available right now than other calibers. So what is WRONG with it other than you don't like it?

2, He said he is "looking to buy a 270" seems to me that he has made up his mind on that part, and wants an opinion on the rifle, so I will give my opinion on the rifle. Why does he want a 270? he didn't say, so I don't care. Maybe his dad died and always wanted a 270 so he is fulfilling his dad's dream, maybe his grandpa died and left him 1k rounds of 270, maybe he weighs 270 pounds and thinks a 270 would be cool. Maybe he flippin rolled the dice and they came up 270. I don't care, cause he asked about the rifle, not the caliber!

MoBoost apparently hates the 270, and while I would agree that the other calibers he listed are superior in many ways, who cares. Want a 270? buy a 270. As for the savage, great rifle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom