30-30 ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot a lot of 30-30, and my ammo stock is dwindling so I'm shopping some of the newer 30-30 factory loads. I tried Hornady LeverEvolution when they came out, but they were one of the lease accurate loads out of my rifles. The old style Winchester Silvertip (150gr.) is one of most accurate loads of my rifles, but Winchester replaced it with a polymer tipped 'Ballistic Silvertip'. Anyone tried the new Silvertips?...or any other newer 30-30 loads?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but the 30-30 has never been known for accuracy.
Its not a "brush buster" as lore has it. Its killed a lot of animals over its history, but I'd sure look for a good bolt gun if your not into AR's.
Quality Bolt guns are a dime a dozen now with the popularity of AR's.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have 2 Marlins that will lay 5 shots into 1" at 100 yards with factory ammo. What I've found after having and working on dozens of them is that, for the most part, they are really picky about load. It's easy to bring a 4" patterning gun to a 1.5" patterning gun by finding the right load. This isn't about not being into ARs or bolt guns...I just love lever guns. I'd like to try Buffalo Bore's 190 gr. load too, but it's too expensive for playing around with.

Latest posts

Top Bottom