30-30 ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I used muzzle velocity from data.hodgdon.com, rounded down. Bullet coefficients are available from most manufacturers. The ballistic calculators are usually considered a rough estimate to get you close, or on target. Your gun and load will almost always be a little different. So you'll have to set your own dope, and if you have a chronograph you can double check your muzzle velocity, and if it's different than you estimated then you can further refine your calcs.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yessir but thats good for a rough estimate. I just got a chrono a few weeks ago and havent ran much through it. Im over 2000 fps right now with my 300 blackout with 125gr Hornady SST. Thats with only 17gr of H110 and around 19gr is max so Im hoping to hit at least 2200fps and Ill be thrilled. I still want to know how those 30-30 bullets do.

farmer17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 1990 JM Marlin 30/30 that likes Federal 150 grain Walmart loads. With a Weaver V1-3x scope the holes will be touching each other at 50 yards.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From year to year the store ammo can change.. You may pick up the ammo that you tried 3+ years ago and have it shoot great.
Then get the same stuff today and it could shoot like crap.

That is what happened to me and my 1974 made model 94 30-30. The ammo we got in the 1980's shot excellent, and by that I mean 1" or under for 3 shots
with an old Redfield fixed 4X scope.

Fast forward to 2009 Had to buy more ammo was down to 8 rounds of the 1980's make.
Got federal and remington 150gr just like the old stuff.
I was lucky to get 8" groups at 100. Hard to keep all shots on a piece of copy paper.

Nothing wrong with scope or gun.
I had that accurate ammo set for 250 yard zero. Could hit gallon milk jugs with it at 250 like clockwork.

I began reloading with the Lee Classic loader for that rifle..I had no choice.. I was not going to try all the ammo in the store and then be disappointed again when
the recipe changed.
With minimal outlay in cash I was reloading .75"-1.25" ammo with that loader and a hammer. 150gr flat nose with 3031 or BLC-2.

My friend has the same year and make 30-30 and his gun does not like the loads my gun likes..and his cases fit my gun if necksized , but my cases will not fit his gun.

So just because ammo is good in 1 gun means nothing for another gun.
My 336 liked the store ammo just fine shot nice tight groups. Model 94 hated it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom