6.2 F-250

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
My work truck is a 16 250 with the 6.2 in it. It’s got 25k with no issues. I like the push button manual transmission option but I don’t like the delay and lag in the all electronic throttle system. Overall it’s been a good truck.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a neighbor with a Ford 6.2 gas. I know it's atleast 6yrs old and has over 100k on it. It has lived its entire life as a feedtruck so it probably has the hours of a 400k mile highway truck. I'm pretty sure the only things he's had to do to it is a few injectors, coil packs and plugs. He just ordered a new one like it.

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know there a lot cheaper to maintain, it cost me about $80 to change the oil in mine that's doing it myself and the fuel filters cost about $50 to change. My cousin took there 6.7 in to the dealer and spent like $400 to change the oil and the fuel and air filters! Oh and she also poured DEF fluid in the fuel tank! Think that cost 2 grand to have straightened out.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Speaking of the maintenance costs. The diesels run longer before requiring an oil change. I believe the book on diesels these days say change oil every 6 or 10k.
Yeah, I don't do dealer maintenance!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I know there a lot cheaper to maintain, it cost me about $80 to change the oil in mine that's doing it myself and the fuel filters cost about $50 to change. My cousin took there 6.7 in to the dealer and spent like $400 to change the oil and the fuel and air filters! Oh and she also poured DEF fluid in the fuel tank! Think that cost 2 grand to have straightened out.

$50 for OEM fuel filter(s), $14 for OEM oil filter, and Rotella 15w-40 is $40, $19 for OEM air filter, all off of Amazon delivered to my door. Almost double that oil price if using the synthetic Rotella, which I use in the winter. So it can still be done pretty reasonable if you do it yourself. The 2017 6.7lpsd and newer have different filters, and I've heard that they are higher than the 2011-2016 6.7l but I haven't priced them.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
thanks for the info, I've never drove one or talked to anyone that's owned one. I've got a diesel now and would like to go back to gas
I’d find a 7.3 and rebuild it, it’s about as good a truck as you will fine 1990-2000 are the years you want it’s what I am looking for now.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My cousin has one now and I believe the one before that was also a 6.2. He had a couple of V10s before that. They are all F350s, but SRW. He has always preferred the gas engines over diesel. He pulls a pretty large enclosed with it on occasion and logs several miles on them. I see if I can get some feedback on his current 6.2.

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
that would be nice to hear. I bought 4 Rotella oil filters for my 6.0 at Wal-Mart for 4 bucks each when they were closing them out, the motorcraft's are $19 there usually. I get the oem fuel filter's of ebay for $43 there about $75 at the dealership and the air filter is like $70 or $80 there to. I think I paid like $50 on the internet. I change oil every 4-5,000 and the fuel about 8-10,000. I've got about 250,000 on it so far without any major trouble except injectors and a turbo, which any diesel built after '02 is gonna have problems with. There wear items evidently now! I've been told several times to stay away from the 6.4 Ford diesel so I'm not even looking at those.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
that would be nice to hear. I bought 4 Rotella oil filters for my 6.0 at Wal-Mart for 4 bucks each when they were closing them out, the motorcraft's are $19 there usually. I get the oem fuel filter's of ebay for $43 there about $75 at the dealership and the air filter is like $70 or $80 there to. I think I paid like $50 on the internet. I change oil every 4-5,000 and the fuel about 8-10,000. I've got about 250,000 on it so far without any major trouble except injectors and a turbo, which any diesel built after '02 is gonna have problems with. There wear items evidently now! I've been told several times to stay away from the 6.4 Ford diesel so I'm not even looking at those.

If you have a Truckpro around you can get 6.0l Baldwin air filters for $45 iirc. 333k miles when I sold my 03' 6.0l, like you fuel filters every 10k and oil every 5k. The only thing major I had fail was oil cooler at just over 300k, 2 injectors at 30k under warranty. Correct on the 6.4l, stay away.

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would say your 6.0 did you really good! Most of the bad stories I've heard is from people putting chips in them and running hard pulling big loads, mine's never been hot rodded or pulled anything super heavy. I talked to the guy with the 6.2 I was looking at and he said he didn't like the way it pulled his camper, a 40 foot 5th wheel no less! I kinda thought that it would handle what I do and be cheaper to operate. I've never heard of TruckPro, be nice if we have one around OKC, I'll have to look it up. Thank you

Latest posts

Top Bottom