6.2 F-250

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I would say your 6.0 did you really good! Most of the bad stories I've heard is from people putting chips in them and running hard pulling big loads, mine's never been hot rodded or pulled anything super heavy. I talked to the guy with the 6.2 I was looking at and he said he didn't like the way it pulled his camper, a 40 foot 5th wheel no less! I kinda thought that it would handle what I do and be cheaper to operate. I've never heard of TruckPro, be nice if we have one around OKC, I'll have to look it up. Thank you

Call and check price, it still maybe cheaper to have it shipped to your door. And a guys time is worth something lol

: 7001 W Reno Ave, Oklahoma City, OK 73127

There were good and bad 6.0l, the release of the 6.0l was also about the same time diesel forums were created as well as diesel programmers and mods begin big business. Those had to have had some influence with the bad rap that all 6.0l were junk. I've known several people who had 6.4l and ALL had at least one major engine failure,only one of them had mods. None of those owners still own them. Terry Miller here on OSA is the 6.4l owner I've known of who has kept one for an extended period of time.

Last edited:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
It's not detuned, it's just tested to a different standard.

Okay detuned was the wrong terminology, cams and standards like you mentioned. Hp/tq are "mechanically" different regardless.

"Raptor: 411/434
Superduty: 385/405
Reason: Cams and different horsepower testing techniques.

The 6.2-liter V-8 in the Super Duty also uses a different camshaft from the light-duty version, which, some may recall, is the same approach Ford uses to make 500 hp in the FR Raptor XT version of the 6.2-liter V-8."

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do they put the same transmission behind the 6.2 as the 6.7 diesel has? I really like the transmission in my '04 I have. Torque shift they call it, think its a five speed but it might be six.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Do they put the same transmission behind the 6.2 as the 6.7 diesel has? I really like the transmission in my '04 I have. Torque shift they call it, think its a five speed but it might be six.

Both torqshift 6sp but the diesel is heavy duty and programmed differently. I like it over the 5sp torqshift that was behind the 6.0l. The new 7.3l gas is supposed to get a 10sp auto.

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the fluid and both filters changed in mine every 50,000, I can only imagine what a 10 spd transmission would cost to replace!

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Both torqshift 6sp but the diesel is heavy duty and programmed differently. I like it over the 5sp torqshift that was behind the 6.0l. The new 7.3l gas is supposed to get a 10sp auto.
I'm pretty sure the entire F-Series (up through the new F-600) gets 10-speed autos. The F-650 and F-750 keep the 6-speed for now. There are a couple of recent TFLTruck videos from the event where Ford announced the 7.3's output numbers, and they show some of the upgraded parts for the SuperDuty 10R transmission.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay detuned was the wrong terminology, cams and standards like you mentioned. Hp/tq are "mechanically" different regardless.

"Raptor: 411/434
Superduty: 385/405
Reason: Cams and different horsepower testing techniques.

The 6.2-liter V-8 in the Super Duty also uses a different camshaft from the light-duty version, which, some may recall, is the same approach Ford uses to make 500 hp in the FR Raptor XT version of the 6.2-liter V-8."
Got a source for that? A source that has proven reliable over the years told me that the engines themselves are the same, but the SAE testing standard used for the Super Duties (built around the heavy-duty duty cycle) produces different results than the half-ton tests.

ETA: it looks like the Super Duty cams have different part numbers than their F-150 counterparts, but the parts catalog doesn't say what the actual differences are.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom