6.5 creedmoor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okie, you listed two different bullets, two different manufacturer's with two different BC's.

I know the BC's are going to change with the caliber/diameter.

What is the difference with both from the same bullet/manufacturer?

You won't find 2 bullets with the same weight and BC with that big of caliber difference. The bigger the caliber the stubbier the bullet will be and that hurts BC.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not enough of a "ballististian" to answer for sure.......I'm not sure if velocity ever "overcomes" BC. I'd think you'd have to push lower BC bullets at speeds that aren't realistic to compensate for the low BC.......??? Like Dusty said, you'll never get two different cal of the same grain that have the same BC. Some of my reloading manual don't even list the bullet weight or caliber in the drop charts. Just the BC and velocity.

Edit: I'd say the initial higher velocity of the 06' allows it to "keep up" for a said distance, and then it will always loose to a higher BC bullet, no matter the caliber..........even another 06' bullet with a higher BC.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is a chart that will show you different coefficients and velocites and how it corresponds in drop.
Oops it is a pdf file and I have it on my computer, but not able to copy and paste it. Can't link it either.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want speed (~3,100fps) and high BC (“pointed” Berger 140gr Hybrid) check out the 6.5 4S George at GA Precision is chambering. Rumor is it has a decent barrel life as well. It’s basically a 7saum necked down to 6.5. I may go this route if more brass manufactures (other than Hornady) produce brass for it.

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You already had a high pressure bolt? And simply changed to a pretension firing pin?

No, As far as I know there was not a high pressure bolt at the time of building my rifle. I did change the firing pin to pretension and it took care of my problems. Even with factory ammo.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, As far as I know there was not a high pressure bolt at the time of building my rifle. I did change the firing pin to pretension and it took care of my problems. Even with factory ammo.

Not understanding how a small spring on a firing pin could fix your problem. Do you have any theories?

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not understanding how a small spring on a firing pin could fix your problem. Do you have any theories?

The best I can tell the pressure spike is steep enough that by the time the bolt releases the primer has already been blown. With the pin staying protruded through the face of the bolt through this period there is no longer a hole in the face of the bolt to blow part of the primer into.

Again this is my best guess. I have no way of verifying pressure curves in mine or anyone else's rifle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom