6.5 grendel 19.5" how far will it kill!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dunno, can you shoot to under 2.5 MOA from field positions? Do you know how to accurately range the target? Do you know your trajectory and come-ups for that distance? Do you know how to determine the wind correction? If the answer is yes to all of that, I'd say take the shot without hesitation. That round certainly has the oomph to kill at that range.

93 FOX

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most hunters cant make a 350 yard shot much less a 600 yard shot. I went antelope hunting last year and made a 400 yard shot. The other four hunters that i deer hunt with every year could hit anything at 300 yards. After about 300 to 350 there is alot of things that come into play. Most shooters that shoot F-class reload their own bullets for more consistancy. Its hard to shoot that far with factory ammo. Wind comes into play also. But to answer your question yes it will. The question is can you make that shot?

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ethical shot? What is an ethical shot? Fred says 75 yards is an ethical shot to take at a deer, Sam on the other hand says Fred you old fart these new rifles can take clean kills at 250 yards no problem! then you have Gunny over there that is not saying anything but he knows what his limitations are and knows for a fact that he can make a shot at 1125 yards every freakin' time!

Now again WHAT is ethical shot? who's defintion of ethical are we going with here? I know what my my capabilities are in field conditions 90% of my shooting is just that in field conditions. Ken at T-Bird range has a 4" plate set up at 400 yards, sorry 426 and I get bored with it! does that make my ethical shot 400 yards? I know what my limitations are trust me fella's just wanting to get it cleared up on what an ethical shot would be, it's thrown around enough.

I do know this most of the people that say I shot that deer at 400 yards really don't know what 400 yards is! you ask what was your hold over? they say I held right on target my 270 is a flat shooter it doesn't drop at 400 yards :lmfao: ok that 400 yard deer was probably closer to 150 - 200 yards. I'm sorry I just can't figure out WHY someone would say they did something when they really didin't! does this make one a bigger person? blah blah blah I'm gonna shut-up now.

Fella's what is considered an ethical shot? 50,100, 150, 300, 400, 600, 1000? this is my idea of an ethical shot see what you think, the maximum MEASURED distance you can put 3 (in a row) shots into a 6" pie plate 3 days out of a week NOT off the bench but using field conditions. Later,

Kirk

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ethical shot? What is an ethical shot? Fred says 75 yards is an ethical shot to take at a deer, Sam on the other hand says Fred you old fart these new rifles can take clean kills at 250 yards no problem! then you have Gunny over there that is not saying anything but he knows what his limitations are and knows for a fact that he can make a shot at 1125 yards every freakin' time!

Now again WHAT is ethical shot? who's defintion of ethical are we going with here? I know what my my capabilities are in field conditions 90% of my shooting is just that in field conditions. Ken at T-Bird range has a 4" plate set up at 400 yards, sorry 426 and I get bored with it! does that make my ethical shot 400 yards? I know what my limitations are trust me fella's just wanting to get it cleared up on what an ethical shot would be, it's thrown around enough.

I do know this most of the people that say I shot that deer at 400 yards really don't know what 400 yards is! you ask what was your hold over? they say I held right on target my 270 is a flat shooter it doesn't drop at 400 yards :lmfao: ok that 400 yard deer was probably closer to 150 - 200 yards. I'm sorry I just can't figure out WHY someone would say they did something when they really didin't! does this make one a bigger person? blah blah blah I'm gonna shut-up now.

Fella's what is considered an ethical shot? 50,100, 150, 300, 400, 600, 1000? this is my idea of an ethical shot see what you think, the maximum MEASURED distance you can put 3 (in a row) shots into a 6" pie plate 3 days out of a week NOT off the bench but using field conditions. Later,

Kirk

This:

Above all else, a hunter should know the limitations of their skill and equipment under field conditions. A clean, humane kill on the animal is always the goal of any ethical hunter.

You may be able to hit that pie plate 3 for 3 three days of the week, but that still doesn't represent your actual ethical range. Most human animals like to measure their limits by their best performance, when they should measure it by their worst. Anyone's max range will vary from day to day. Today it might be 350. Tomorrow it might be 200 if you got a bad nights sleep and you're all jacked up on coffee & sugar to stay awake. Ol' Fred might not be able to hit a deer broadside beyond 60 yards.

It's not about what you can do, it's about what you can do at the moment the shot presents itself. A man ought to know his limitations at all times in the field is all I'm saying.

FWIW, I've never shot at a deer beyond 100 yards. I've had opportunities at longer ranges and passed due to the conditions at the time. The 100 yard shot was offhand and a clean kill. I knew when I pressed the trigger that the deer was gonna be a goner. :)

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, the Grendel should be able to take a deer at 600 yards, most hunters on the other hand is a different story.

According to some of the info I've seen, the Grendel has more energy than a .308 after 600 yards and is still supersonic at 1000 yards.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shot a doe at 423 yards with a .223 WSSM 55 grain ballistic tip. Longest shot I've ever attempts and don't think I'll be doing it again. It dropped her DRT but after the fact and the more I thought about it, it wasn't very smart to try that.

257wby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is my thought...If you KNOW you can place a shot in the boiler room at X distance with >1000 ft/lbs of energy then let her fly. If you THINK you MIGHT be able to land a lucky shot then don't pull the trigger. Putting one through their guts and letting them suffer for 8-24+ hours is not an ethical shot and one that a responsible hunter will not take.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The oft quoted formula is any distance that the bullet retains above 1000 pounds feet of energy. Keep in mind however, that range may exceed the maximum range for an ethical shot.

I thought the "new" thinking was that kinetic energy and energy transfer were not reliable ways to measure the wounding potential of a bullet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom