6.5 grendel 19.5" how far will it kill!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glocktogo, I'm not trying to stir up anything just I hear ethical thrown around a lot, I'm not going to say what my longest shot is just because someone will say I'm an idiot but ya know what I have been shooting long range for years and what most think is a long shot I don't so I just keep my mouth shut it seems to be better that way.

I fully agree that a rifle will do some amazing things but the nut behind the trigger is the weak link, that weak link has to know what his equipment will do at all times in all conditions. I passed up some shots a couple years ago out in Sayre on some deer that just floored me! some of the bucks they said were scrubs I'd hang on my wall! the guys I was hunting with know how I shoot and everyone is on me to shoot that nice buck he's only XXX yards I know you can hit him, well I knew I could hit him too but I had my 243 and yes it will hit and good but I was concerened about the bullet performance at that range! I didn't take the shot! if I don't know something about my equipment or have a slight doubt I don't take the shot dang sure wish I would have taken the 308!

I have since built a 284 Win in a light hunting rig, granted the chamber has been throated to seat the bullets out longer to get some more powder it will equal a 7WM and in some cases beat the 7WM it has been a hammer on deer. I have taken several does out to XXX yards and was working on getting it out further until my company sent me to Louisiana 3 months ago to help out so the practice has been put on hold.

I just wish people would quit saying they shot something at 300 yards and it in reality was only 150, there are some folks that can shoot long ranges and do it extremely well! I have seen some shots on game that would scare you the distance they were made at! heck I've made called shots on P-Dogs over 1K but ya know what a P-Dog ain't a deer! Later,

Kirk

WCMS

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is my thought...If you KNOW you can place a shot in the boiler room at X distance with >1000 ft/lbs of energy then let her fly. If you THINK you MIGHT be able to land a lucky shot then don't pull the trigger. Putting one through their guts and letting them suffer for 8-24+ hours is not an ethical shot and one that a responsible hunter will not take.

Exactly! im not saying i can make that shot...yet. but with alot of practice, and some reloading. . yea i think i can. i have seen how far that is, my cousin has plates set up all the way to 1k yards, and has made a 474 yard shot on a hog, and has hit his plates out to 800. now thats with a 308, i know thats a different round, but i wanted to make sure that the 6.5 had enouh to make a kill that far. are there any places in southern oklahoma where i will run into a shot that far? very few. but i wanted to make sure i could with that round, because i really like it.

WCMS

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yo WCMS - how do you like the 6.5 Gendel - I have been thinking about buying an upper for a hunting rig...

How does it compare to the 6.8spc

actually havnt shot it, at all. just got the money saved up. in fact im gng on this set up based on what i have read. yea i know brave hu. oh well, i wanted something that could fit in the ar platform that was a little bigger than the 556. from what ive read the grendel is a great hunting round. comparing it to the 6.8 its supposed to have greater distance than the 6.8, but with both about the same recoil. thats why i picked the 6.5 . i got my lower picked out, now i just need to find the right upper. which is kinda hard to find for the 6.5, im not seeing anyone selling it other than alexander arms. and even if i buy from them i wil have to buy quad rails, maybe a new gas block with adjustable setting and find out some more bout running a can with there 19.5" hunter model. i cant even find flash hider or muzzle break to fit there threads for that model... other than the alexander arms one of course. but... i'll keep ya posted, someday ill make up my mind. its just kinda hard decision when you are a college kid and have been stashing a little money here and there in one of those big popcorn cans for bout 3 years now.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
actually havnt shot it, at all. just got the money saved up. in fact im gng on this set up based on what i have read. yea i know brave hu. oh well, i wanted something that could fit in the ar platform that was a little bigger than the 556. from what ive read the grendel is a great hunting round. comparing it to the 6.8 its supposed to have greater distance than the 6.8, but with both about the same recoil. thats why i picked the 6.5 . i got my lower picked out, now i just need to find the right upper. which is kinda hard to find for the 6.5, im not seeing anyone selling it other than alexander arms. and even if i buy from them i wil have to buy quad rails, maybe a new gas block with adjustable setting and find out some more bout running a can with there 19.5" hunter model. i cant even find flash hider or muzzle break to fit there threads for that model... other than the alexander arms one of course. but... i'll keep ya posted, someday ill make up my mind. its just kinda hard decision when you are a college kid and have been stashing a little money here and there in one of those big popcorn cans for bout 3 years now.

I have the 19.5" Hunter Upper and its a great gun. Muzzle breaks are hard to find and a little pricey but if you look you can find them. I bought mine off the Grendel forums, its a WCI (see my avatar). You won't be disappointed in the round. There's so many options to choose from, it's very accurate and very low recoil. If you want to meet at the range and try it out before you buy one let me know.

Here's the link to the Grendel Forums:

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/

WCMS

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the 19.5" Hunter Upper and its a great gun. Muzzle breaks are hard to find and a little pricey but if you look you can find them. I bought mine off the Grendel forums, its a WCI (see my avatar). You won't be disappointed in the round. There's so many options to choose from, it's very accurate and very low recoil. If you want to meet at the range and try it out before you buy one let me know.

Here's the link to the Grendel Forums:

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/

thanks, that break looks pretty good, that was one i was considering for it. would you recommend the 19.5 or a 24" ? i hear there isnt much gain difference between the two.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never shot or handled the 24" but the 19.5" would be easier to carry and handle in the woods, so that's why I decided to go wit it. If it's strictly going to be a bench gun and you don't mind the extra weight, then either one would work.

Latest posts

Top Bottom