6.8 spc

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm thinking of starting a new AR project after I get three other projects out of the way (My current AR, a AK in .223 I'm 'bout to get, and a LH'ed Remington 700 in .308).
I've always had a HUGE interest in the 6.8SPC cartridge ever since I've found out about it and read up on it.
I'm wondering if anyone knows of good companies that make an AR in the 6.8SPC round.
IMO, I do think it's a better cartridge than .223, mainly for it's "firepower".
I know it doesn't have the range as the .223 does nor the accuracy out past say 300 to 400 yards but within about 250 yards, it's gonna hit a bibt harder than the .223.
I think that the military oughta' swap to the 6.8SPC.
I mean, fighting is now done mainly in an urban environment so I'd rather have something that'll hit a lil' harder than a .22LR on crack.
Anyways, back to the main reason to this thread.
So if anyone knows of any good companies that make either a complete AR in 6.8SPC or at least the upper and lower receiver along with the barrel, BCG, etc. lemme' know.

46and2

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I mean, fighting is now done mainly in an urban environment so I'd rather have something that'll hit a lil' harder than a .22LR on crack.

http://archive.armytimes.com/article/20100322/NEWS/3220306/Marksmen-issued-better-rifles-Afghanistan

The Army is doubling the number of 7.62mm weapons in the infantry squad, increasing soldiers' long-range killing power in the wide-open expanses of Afghanistan.

Not to start a debate, but I guess it depends on where the fighting is.

Regardless, I know Stag Arms and RRA have uppers and full rifles, and I think Wilson Combat has uppers as well. I hope you reload, I can't find much under $1/round.

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Tumbleweed

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.68forums.com

All the info. you're looking for. Btw the 6.8 is very accurate. I have shot mine to 700yds, and have seen 1000yd hits on steel repeatedly. Not much energy at that range, but accurate. There have been plenty of deer, hog, and even elk kills out to 400 yds.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My 6.8 is incredibly accurate (well under MOA). I built it with a Wilson Combat 16" SS barrel, so obviously a complete WC 6.8 AR would be a good choice. My cousin is very satisfied with his Palmetto State 18" AR, but it's not as accurate as mine. You could use any lower and that opens up your choices a lot. Bison Armory and AR15 Performance are two of the top names in 6.8 AR's. I almost went with Bison on my build, but I got dealer pricing on the Wilson barrel, so I went that route and wouldn't change my mind now.

You can get a lot of info on rifles, uppers, barrels, ammo and handloads on the 6.8 Forum as well. Good luck!

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am just getting into 6.8 too. I bought this upper from Palmetto: http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...ped-upper-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

It has a hammer forged barrel made by FN. They tend to shoot pretty good... lots of people have gotten them to shoot MOA or thereabouts with hand loads or good ammo. For my purposes, I'll be fine if it shoots 2 MOA or so. My main thing is that I wanted it to be light weight and nice handling for the woods.

Last edited:

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I mainly went 6.8 because I liked the available uppers and barrels better. No lightweight profile or chrome lined stuff available for 6.5. I also read that finding reliable mags can be a problem for 6.5. Same issue as 7.62x39 ARs (they use the same case).

jmike314

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i1324.photobucket.com_albums_u607_jmike314_D42B0A5F_1BAD_4F5B_83BA_1F865AD23690_zpszwi2t3am.jpg

Love my Anderson/Stag/Magpul 6.8SPCII.
If you look around online (Palmetto State Armory) you can usually stock up on range ammo at 15$ per box. Still waiting on a shot to take down some hogs or go deer hunting....but me and my Anderstagpul are ready.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been looking into putting together a 6.8 rifle for hunting. I was considering the 6.5 Grendel but have moved to the 6.8 camp for factory load selection. Currently I don't reload so this has to be a consideration.

I'll be back in TX next month on a hog hunt. My buddy will be bringing his dad's 6.8 that I'll have the option to use. This will probably motivate me just a bit more to devote some money to a 6.8 build. I guess I could go ahead and upgrade the stock and trigger on my AR lower. I'll be using that either way.

Latest posts

Top Bottom