6.8 spc

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am trying to decide 6.5 Grendel or the 6.8 SPC.

I'd personally go with the 6.8SPC, I'm just talking caliber wise, not what's out there for it.
I'd rather have a larger caliber than a smaller one if I'm having to use it for personal defense.
Now of course it don't matter if I have a .22LR or a .338 Lapua, it's about shot placement and all that fun stuff.
But I'd rather have to only use say 2 or 3 rounds instead of 5, 6, or 7.
Now as far as parts and gear wise, 6.8SPC has more to offer in that department than 6.5 Grendel or 6.5 Creedmore. Now I personally don't know the difference between the 6.5 Grendel and 6.5 Creedmore. I find them to both be almost identical.
But still they both don't stand up to the ballistics of the 6.8SPC.
Now as far as price of the calibers I think they're all about the same, I wish that 6.8SPC was more readily available.
I'm thinking of owning two ARs one day in 6.8SPC, a full-size rifle and then a short stroke piston driven system AR pistol so I can just put a QD mount on the back of it and place a sling on it to put around my neck and shoulder since the ATF ruled that putting the Sig brace up to your shoulder is now a "no no".

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i1324.photobucket.com_albums_u607_jmike314_D42B0A5F_1BAD_4F5B_83BA_1F865AD23690_zpszwi2t3am.jpg

Love my Anderson/Stag/Magpul 6.8SPCII.
If you look around online (Palmetto State Armory) you can usually stock up on range ammo at 15$ per box. Still waiting on a shot to take down some hogs or go deer hunting....but me and my Anderstagpul are ready.

Ain't she just purtty, only problem with that set up, IMO, is the A2 front sight. I've just never ever cared for that sight. But we all have opions just like we all have a**holes, right? :rollingla
How many rounds are in a box for $15? hopefully over 15 rounds, right? If not then I'll have to reload and that'll be a PITA (Pain in the a**)!
Also I wish .300WinMag was a bit cheaper, because I want a nice bolt gun in that caliber but I don't feel like paying $1 a round nor do I feel like reloading because that'll be a lot of time wasted and not being out on the range shooting. :pms2:

46and2

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now as far as parts and gear wise, 6.8SPC has more to offer in that department than 6.5 Grendel or 6.5 Creedmore. Now I personally don't know the difference between the 6.5 Grendel and 6.5 Creedmore. I find them to both be almost identical.
But still they both don't stand up to the ballistics of the 6.8SPC.

Not trying to call you out or anything, but my admittedly not-in-depth research disagrees. At 300 yards, a 120gr Hornady 6.5 creedmoor A-MAX has 500 more lb-ft of energy than a 120gr 6.8 SST. It also has 3" less drop. The difference is tilted more towards the creedmoor the farther out you go. Even a 123gr SST 6.5 Grendel has almost 400 lb-ft more energy at 300 yards and ~2" less drop than the 6.8 SPC. I know those weights and bullet types are not exactly the same, but I think they are reasonably close. I agree that 6.8 SPC uppers, mags, etc are more available, I think there's no doubt about that. But ballistics wise, it appears 6.5 Creedmoor > 6.5 Grendel > 6.8 SPC.

Links:

http://www.hornady.com/store/6.5-Creedmoor-120-gr-A-MAX/
http://www.hornady.com/store/6.5-Grendel-123-gr-SST/
http://www.hornady.com/store/6.8mm-SPC-120-GR-SST/

owu1bag5

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the 6.5 Grendel is the way to go. I have both the 6.8 and the 6.5. I built the 6.8 first and didn't think there was anything better, until I built my 6.5 Grendel. Both are extremely accurate. I just believe the 6.5 edges the 6.8 out on both accuracy and distance. You are talking about a .25 cal bullet vs a .27 cal bullet. Both rounds can be had in the same bullet weights, and the 6.5 moves a little faster and a little more energy. I like both rounds, but my Grendel is my go to.

Latest posts

Top Bottom