7-Eleven owners play classical, opera to shoo away the homeless

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But if they REALLY wanted annoying they would play Slim Whitman yodeling.

Owners of 7-Eleven stores in Austin, Texas and California play classical and opera music to try and get rid of the homeless around their stores.
Store owner in Austin says "...the homeless population has been a big problem.
'Especially a lot of my female customers and my young customers are scared to come here, because there are people constantly hanging out in the parking lot soliciting for money,' he said.
...(The owner) started playing the music about 10 days ago and got the idea because other store owners around the country began doing the same.
'Studies have shown that the classical music is annoying. Opera is annoying, and I’m assuming they are correct because it’s working,' he said."
https://nypost.com/2023/01/15/7-ele...-use-classical-music-to-shoo-homeless-people/

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They did this in downtown Seattle and it was decreed as "racist." Also apparently it causes shootings?

"For years, the city has tried get rid of these young black loiterers (they are coded as drug dealers and gang members). At one point, the McDonalds on the corner of 3rd and Pine even tried piping country music onto the street. When that did not work, it tried classical music. This approach was meant to work like those bird control spikes on the corner of buildings and the entrance of light rail stations. What the spikes did for the feet of birds, country and classical music would do to black ears. But it didn't work. They did not go away. They were still there even on Wednesday."

https://www.thestranger.com/slog/20...ioning-race-in-the-3rd-and-pine-mass-shooting

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They did this in downtown Seattle and it was decreed as "racist." Also apparently it causes shootings?

"For years, the city has tried get rid of these young black loiterers (they are coded as drug dealers and gang members). At one point, the McDonalds on the corner of 3rd and Pine even tried piping country music onto the street. When that did not work, it tried classical music. This approach was meant to work like those bird control spikes on the corner of buildings and the entrance of light rail stations. What the spikes did for the feet of birds, country and classical music would do to black ears. But it didn't work. They did not go away. They were still there even on Wednesday."

https://www.thestranger.com/slog/20...ioning-race-in-the-3rd-and-pine-mass-shooting
I can think of a lot of different ways to get rid of this problem, but unfortunately most of them would be classed as . . . cruel and unusual punishment 🤣

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would love it if more stores put on some ruggero leoncavallo or Chopin while I’m shopping. This new thing with Walmart playing their “Walmart radio” or academy doing their thing at borderline obnoxious volume levels is extremely annoying.
My personal favorite was the Immortal Beloved soundtrack (Beethoven) when I was manning a 7-11. Got more compliments from customers on playing classical, than I could count.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in CA they looped 'Baby Shark' overnight to prevent homeless from sleeping by their businesses. That'd get me long before classical.
Man, if I pulled up to a business, opened my door, and heard that, I would close my door and leave. I don’t care if it’s a poopmergency and I’m 20 seconds away from loading my pants with my own casserole; I would drive to the next place down the street.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
“Moving” the problem is hardly a solution, and calling an entire genre of music “annoying” in the process isn’t helpful either.

Opera is an expression of our shared human emotions, of listening beyond words to build empathy and emotional intelligence. It strikes an emotional chord- that’s why people find it hard to listen to; it’s a reality check on your own emotional intelligence and empathy.

7-Eleven’s promotion of opera as “annoying” and the study referenced which doesn’t exist (in fact the opposite is true that listening to opera and classical music has many positive effects on mental health and physiology and is an integral part of music therapy programs particularly for the elderly and dementia patients) actually damages the reputation of the Opera industry and the millions around the world who not just enjoy it but earn their livelihoods as vocalists and musicians.

In fact, the world needs more opera. It needs more tools in general that build empathy and emotional intelligence. More time-outs to appreciate Culture, heritage, and artistry that demands commitment, dedication and a pursuit of excellence; instead of cookie-cutter insta-celebrities whose talent doesn’t extend beyond the end of their arm at their mobile phone. As is obvious with 7-Eleven, maybe communities need more spaces to share our humanity in a positive way and less places for a pack of smokes and a Slurpee?
So what you are trying to say is that the world needs more singing fat ladies 🙂

Latest posts

Top Bottom