Downtown Tulsa business owners negatively impacted by area "homeless"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nemesis

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
https://ktul.com/news/local/downtown-tulsa-businesses-impacted-by-growing-homeless-presence

Downtown Tulsa business owners are calling on the City to do something about the increased presence of homeless people.

While there’s no lack of compassion or empathy for the homeless from area business owners, there’s also no lack of worry that nothing’s being done.

"There’s the guy again," said Vicki Economou of Coney Island.

The sheer volume of homeless near downtown's Coney Island has prompted signs in the parking lot and a sign on the door.

"You know, we’ve got signs up, 'Bathrooms are for customers only,' they’ll just walk right past you," Economou said.

And Mexicali Border Cafe next door is receiving threats from the homeless.

"I’ve been threatened more in the last six months than I have the whole time I’ve worked here because I refuse to give somebody a glass of water, I'm told that I'm going to kill you," said Albert Cronheim with Mexicali Border Cafe.

Gypsy Coffee House down the street said the homeless are deterring customers.

"They’re aggressive, they’re panhandling, they’re coming onto my patios and my business and aggressively panhandling my customers," said Bradley Garcia with Gypsy Coffee House.

And while we were interviewing Lou Lynch at Tulsa Violin Shop, a homeless man walked by his store screaming before laying down on a bench.

"You know, he was yelling when he was walking by here, and I mentioned that he probably should be on medication, it's pretty obvious," Lynch said.

"What we’re trying to do is ramp up using best practices to ultimately house everyone," said Erin Willis of Housing Solutions, a nonprofit working in conjunction with the city.

Willis says COVID-19 is part of the reason for the added homeless presence.

"So we’ve seen kind of a reduction in shelter opportunity, some reduction in outreach work, which has resulted in definitely a visibility of more people outside during the daytime and sleeping outside as well," she said.

Whatever the reason, businesses are tired of seeing the crisis fester.

"I’ve called the mayor’s office, I’ve called the mayor’s action line, I’ve sent an email, I’ve invited the mayor to lunch," said Economou.

"Nobody’s done anything with any teeth from the City at all to be quite honest," said Garcia.

The business owners are at wit's end and worried that the situation will only grow worse.

"It's getting to the point that it's getting scary, and I've never been scared to work here," said Cronheim.

"My fear is that it is going to take somebody being killed or severely hurt for anything to be done, and I don’t want that," said Economou.

nemesis

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Nice going, Tulsa! Continue with your quest to be like other big cities and someday you'll be like ........ New York! Kudos!

3dee243ca62a5d1fe85516db75be832e.jpg

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It is getting bad down there. They congregate around the jail for some reason and then head East from there. I ride my motorcycle by that area daily.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went into Coney island downtown yesterday for the first time since they moved to their new location.
I don't know how any of those places are surviving down there.
Between the homeless running everybody off, workers working from home, no events to draw crowds.
It's gotta be rough.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
https://ktul.com/news/local/downtown-tulsa-businesses-impacted-by-growing-homeless-presence

Downtown Tulsa business owners are calling on the City to do something about the increased presence of homeless people.

While there’s no lack of compassion or empathy for the homeless from area business owners, there’s also no lack of worry that nothing’s being done.

"There’s the guy again," said Vicki Economou of Coney Island.

The sheer volume of homeless near downtown's Coney Island has prompted signs in the parking lot and a sign on the door.

"You know, we’ve got signs up, 'Bathrooms are for customers only,' they’ll just walk right past you," Economou said.

And Mexicali Border Cafe next door is receiving threats from the homeless.

"I’ve been threatened more in the last six months than I have the whole time I’ve worked here because I refuse to give somebody a glass of water, I'm told that I'm going to kill you," said Albert Cronheim with Mexicali Border Cafe.

Gypsy Coffee House down the street said the homeless are deterring customers.

"They’re aggressive, they’re panhandling, they’re coming onto my patios and my business and aggressively panhandling my customers," said Bradley Garcia with Gypsy Coffee House.

And while we were interviewing Lou Lynch at Tulsa Violin Shop, a homeless man walked by his store screaming before laying down on a bench.

"You know, he was yelling when he was walking by here, and I mentioned that he probably should be on medication, it's pretty obvious," Lynch said.

"What we’re trying to do is ramp up using best practices to ultimately house everyone," said Erin Willis of Housing Solutions, a nonprofit working in conjunction with the city.

Willis says COVID-19 is part of the reason for the added homeless presence.

"So we’ve seen kind of a reduction in shelter opportunity, some reduction in outreach work, which has resulted in definitely a visibility of more people outside during the daytime and sleeping outside as well," she said.

Whatever the reason, businesses are tired of seeing the crisis fester.

"I’ve called the mayor’s office, I’ve called the mayor’s action line, I’ve sent an email, I’ve invited the mayor to lunch," said Economou.

"Nobody’s done anything with any teeth from the City at all to be quite honest," said Garcia.

The business owners are at wit's end and worried that the situation will only grow worse.

"It's getting to the point that it's getting scary, and I've never been scared to work here," said Cronheim.

"My fear is that it is going to take somebody being killed or severely hurt for anything to be done, and I don’t want that," said Economou.
I had heard from somebody connected to TPD that some other cities Had shipped their homeless here (and if you think about it thats a great plan for them put them on a buss hand them a undo and make them somebody else’s problem) They hang around down town for food (a lot of church outreach down there). I dunno I stay our of downtown anymore and .... i used to love Dilly’s and Fasslers.....now I just stay in the burbs.........

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It would educational to investigate what sources of legal advice and legal advocacy exists for the homeless in Tulsa. This is probably one of the drivers for urban homeless populations. Likewise for mental health as was discussed in another thread.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had heard from somebody connected to TPD that some other cities Had shipped their homeless here (and if you think about it thats a great plan for them put them on a buss hand them a undo and make them somebody else’s problem) They hang around down town for food (a lot of church outreach down there). I dunno I stay our of downtown anymore and .... i used to love Dilly’s and Fasslers.....now I just stay in the burbs.........
That was common practice for decades. I see it is still in effect. If you had a problem child, just give them a bus ticket from the Salvation Army to anywhere else but here. Usually the ticket was to the next city over 50K population.

nemesis

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It would educational to investigate what sources of legal advice and legal advocacy exists for the homeless in Tulsa. This is probably one of the drivers for urban homeless populations. Likewise for mental health as was discussed in another thread.

I moved here from the People's Republic of Kalifornistan. When they legalized marijuana, they experienced an immediate and dramatic increase in drug abusers of all types.

I used to vacation in Colorado and still have family there. When they legalized marijuana, they experienced an immediate and dramatic increase in drug abusers of all types.

Ditto Tulsa.

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nothing new as the homeless have been a problem in Tulsa at various times for years. The oil crash in the late 1970s/1980s it was bad. They rounded them up, put them in jumpsuits and put them to work cleaning up the city. That caused them to move on but that won't happen this time.

I remember in the 70's it being so bad in downtown Tulsa after 6pm that people were afraid to go downtown.

Latest posts

Top Bottom