86 chevy Suburban Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
JC Whitney sent me the wrong ones so I had to send them back. The rest of the seats are in mint condition so I've been considering finding someone to just redo the driver seat. But honestly I have no idea who to go to or if they can even match the factory color, design, and material. If I can't get the driver seat to match the rest then I'll just have to bite the bullet and have them all redone.

Yep. That's where I am ... we got our Suburban on a trade ('68VW Bug that was like riding in a log wagon lol) because the guy's little brother got drunk and took it for a joyride with his buddies ... Somebody took a knife and poked holes in every single seat (which is leather, btw) so there are little holes everywhere ... And I think I'd prefer cloth anyway ... I'm sure glad he and his buds didn't poke a bunch of holes in the side panels and the console and dashboard ... That would REALLY have me irritated ... WTF is wrong with people?!?!!? :scratch:

We've got a new transmission for R-Core, a new motor from Hilario (he's a board member and a good guy) and just put new tires on it a couple years ago. No more than I drive, I'll have to replace them from dry rot before I will burn off all the tread. LOL

Now that GC is fixing to retire, we'll get busy on it and have the dents and dings taken out of the body (there's not a panel on it that doesn't have a scrape or dent ... I think they must have been driving offroad somewhere lol ... and have it painted. I'd really like for it to be as stock as possible because I like the color already ... and it's comfy ... lots of room for dogs or whatever else I need to haul around ... there's enough room in the back to take 3 or 4 goats to the vet even ... :D

Don't see us getting rid of it any time soon ...

I showed your thread to GC ... we are living vicariously through you right now ... Ha!! (Oh ... and neither one of us like electrical stuff AT ALL! :nolike:)

neginfluence04

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep. That's where I am ... we got our Suburban on a trade ('68VW Bug that was like riding in a log wagon lol) because the guy's little brother got drunk and took it for a joyride with his buddies ... Somebody took a knife and poked holes in every single seat (which is leather, btw) so there are little holes everywhere ... And I think I'd prefer cloth anyway ... I'm sure glad he and his buds didn't poke a bunch of holes in the side panels and the console and dashboard ... That would REALLY have me irritated ... WTF is wrong with people?!?!!? :scratch:

We've got a new transmission for R-Core, a new motor from Hilario (he's a board member and a good guy) and just put new tires on it a couple years ago. No more than I drive, I'll have to replace them from dry rot before I will burn off all the tread. LOL

Now that GC is fixing to retire, we'll get busy on it and have the dents and dings taken out of the body (there's not a panel on it that doesn't have a scrape or dent ... I think they must have been driving offroad somewhere lol ... and have it painted. I'd really like for it to be as stock as possible because I like the color already ... and it's comfy ... lots of room for dogs or whatever else I need to haul around ... there's enough room in the back to take 3 or 4 goats to the vet even ... :D

Don't see us getting rid of it any time soon ...

I showed your thread to GC ... we are living vicariously through you right now ... Ha!! (Oh ... and neither one of us like electrical stuff AT ALL! :nolike:)

I would be PISSED if someone cut all the seats in any of my vehicles especially one with leather seats.

I originally bought the Suburban for winter and for wheeling but it has quickly become my favorite vehicle. I get tons of looks, thumbs up, and questions about it every time I drive it to work or around town. And with gas being at two and half bucks its not to bad on the wallet as a daily driver right now.

Last edited:

neginfluence04

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tried to finish installing the amp tonight but the mid 20 degree weather and 20-30 mph wind gust forced me back inside. I did however take some pictures of the factory lighting showing the lows vs highs vs low and high vs low and highs on bright. What I mean by that is the truck has 4 head lights, one set for lows (bottom) and one set for highs (top). The previous owner swapped the highs with lows and ran a relay which would allow the lows and highs to run at the same time and would increase the brightness of both if the highs were engaged.

LOWS
10387472_875773252442157_5349416373849584396_n.jpg

HIGHS
10636145_875773219108827_4110923517741645630_n.jpg

LOWS AND HIGHS
8964_875773242442158_2311482102287160518_n.jpg

LOWS AND HIGHS ON BRIGHT
10446686_875773209108828_1204625031111544232_n.jpg

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wish I could figure out how to make the camera on my note 3 focus / show more detail during night photos.

Sadly, cell phone cameras are limited. Well, at least when compared to what I use for cameras. You might ask around to see if anyone has a decent single lens reflex. If necessary, those can help one to manually adjust focus instead of relying on auto-focus. However, even with that, night photos can be a testing experience.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would be PISSED if someone cut all the seats in any of my vehicles especially one with leather seats.

I originally bought the Suburban for winter and for wheeling but it has quickly become my favorite vehicle. I get tons of looks, thumbs up, and questions about it every time I drive it to work or around town. And with gas being at two and half bucks its not to bad on the wallet as a daily driver right now.

We did the same thing -- it was originally supposed to be GC's vehicle to do whatever he wanted with -- no questions asked or comment made the wife. THEN I hurt my neck and my standard transmission pickup truck became impossible for me to drive at times. I'm still have the truck but the Suburban is a so much easier drive and ride for me. GC has himself an old 4Runner that he is tinkering around with ... I'm not sure what's next with it but I'm hoping it's cheaper than the tires we just slapped on it ... lol

neginfluence04

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sadly, cell phone cameras are limited. Well, at least when compared to what I use for cameras. You might ask around to see if anyone has a decent single lens reflex. If necessary, those can help one to manually adjust focus instead of relying on auto-focus. However, even with that, night photos can be a testing experience.

I have an DSLR (Canon T3i) but honestly I really don't know what I'm doing with it. I sometimes get lucky and can take a good picture here and there but most times I have no clue.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an DSLR (Canon T3i) but honestly I really don't know what I'm doing with it. I sometimes get lucky and can take a good picture here and there but most times I have no clue.

I would think that the T3i should do what you want, although I've not worked with very many Canon cameras over the years. They would be a ways away from you, but Baker Photo and Video in Yukon offers a class each month on "Mastering Your Camera." I've taken that class a couple of times over the years and I always learn something new. While Hank, the owner is a Nikon guy, he has employees that are Canon guys. I think the class is something like $45 and lasts about 3 or 4 hours.

It is a hands-on class where they talk about camera features and how to use them and each person gets to play with their own camera. If one is having problems, one of the helpers is usually right there to help, so one doesn't have to rely only on the class instructor.

Latest posts

Top Bottom