A car tire, on a motorcycle...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

isaiahsdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, just passed 400 mile on the new tire, Have 100 more to go before the break-in period is passed. So far, I couldn't be happier with every aspect of the tire. It handles better than any other tire i have ever run. It is far more stable than any motorcycle tire I have ridden, and in the rain, it is smooth as glass and really hugs the road. I have been doing some riding with the wife on the back and a couple of other people on the back and the handling is superb. In my humble opinion, second to none. I have done some non aggressive twisties, and some pretty aggressive highway mileage and I am very impressed with the way this tire handles. I also have nothing but praises for the dynabeads. My bike rides like a new bike, and that is what I wanted when I began this whole journey.

I ran into 4 different guys at bikefest this last weekend who are also darksiders and they have the exact same opinion of running on car tires on mc, that to them, it is the only way to go. 3 of them have the same tires as I do. To sum up, even though I have only 400 miles on my car tire, I am more than hooked. Think what you will, but I am convinced, and it would take a lot to convince me otherwise. Anyone interested in giving it a try, my offer still stands, you have an m, and you are seriously considering making the move, you are more than welcome to a test ride on my bike.

Wizard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey im glad to know someone else did this, ive been reading about alot of darksiders on the Kaw forums.

I started to read the whole thread but didnt feel like sifting through all the other stuff. Ive got an 09 VN900 custom and I was thinking about trying this when it came time for me to replace the rear tire as there is no way a CT will fit on the front of my bike lol.

isaiahsdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will admit that it does handle 'different', but different is better in this case. The one main difference that I noticed right off the bat is that my old tire, and many before that, when going into a moderate speed turn (above 60mph) the rear end would kind of 'float' around the corners. If you have ever ridden behind a motorcycle, you know exactly what I mean. It kind of looks like the rear wheel is riding on the edge of slipping out from under the bike. You see it a lot more on big cruisers than sport bikes. I used to have that same sensation on my Goldwing and my Vulcan before I switched to the car tire. Now it is solid around the same corners. A good example is going West bound I 40 when it swings south at I 35 then back to I 40. It has a semi sharp left handed turn at speeds around 60 to 65 miles an hour. I have been behind many bikes going around this turn and watched the 'drift' and 'float' around this corner. Now, that float is gone. The tire stays put in the lane and has no feeling of drifting at all. I was very worried about this being the case as well with this new tire and very surprised the first time I took this turn. So much so that the first time I took the turn, I did it at 50mph. I was so impressed, I exited, turned around, got off at Scott street and took the turn again at 65, and again at 75 and absolutely love it. It seems that when I get on the throttle in a turn, this tire literally grabs the road tighter. It is a very weird feeling but very very invigorating. I can only guess on the reason there is so much grip is because there is so much more tread, not more rubber, but more tread on the road. The tread pattern on a ct is much more aggressive than a mt. Whatever the reason, and I am sure there are experts that can give a better reason, it works for me and I will continue to swear by it.

I do have to say this as I should have stated at the beginning of this thread some 13 pages ago. I do NOT recommend ANYONE put a car tire on their motorcycle. Car tires are designed for cars and motorcycle tires are designed for motorcycles. If you do decide to put a car tire on your motorcycle you are doing it at your own risk. My reason for starting this thread is ONLY for information purposes. Drivers are professionals on closed courses, no animals where harmed in any of the tests, cancer has been reported in some cases. If you experience a rash, dry mouth, shortness of breath, blurred vision, diarrhea, constipation, dizziness or any other symptoms, see your physician.

Wizard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will admit that it does handle 'different', but different is better in this case. The one main difference that I noticed right off the bat is that my old tire, and many before that, when going into a moderate speed turn (above 60mph) the rear end would kind of 'float' around the corners. If you have ever ridden behind a motorcycle, you know exactly what I mean. It kind of looks like the rear wheel is riding on the edge of slipping out from under the bike. You see it a lot more on big cruisers than sport bikes. I used to have that same sensation on my Goldwing and my Vulcan before I switched to the car tire. Now it is solid around the same corners. A good example is going West bound I 40 when it swings south at I 35 then back to I 40. It has a semi sharp left handed turn at speeds around 60 to 65 miles an hour. I have been behind many bikes going around this turn and watched the 'drift' and 'float' around this corner. Now, that float is gone. The tire stays put in the lane and has no feeling of drifting at all. I was very worried about this being the case as well with this new tire and very surprised the first time I took this turn. So much so that the first time I took the turn, I did it at 50mph. I was so impressed, I exited, turned around, got off at Scott street and took the turn again at 65, and again at 75 and absolutely love it. It seems that when I get on the throttle in a turn, this tire literally grabs the road tighter. It is a very weird feeling but very very invigorating. I can only guess on the reason there is so much grip is because there is so much more tread, not more rubber, but more tread on the road. The tread pattern on a ct is much more aggressive than a mt. Whatever the reason, and I am sure there are experts that can give a better reason, it works for me and I will continue to swear by it.

I do have to say this as I should have stated at the beginning of this thread some 13 pages ago. I do NOT recommend ANYONE put a car tire on their motorcycle. Car tires are designed for cars and motorcycle tires are designed for motorcycles. If you do decide to put a car tire on your motorcycle you are doing it at your own risk. My reason for starting this thread is ONLY for information purposes. Drivers are professionals on closed courses, no animals where harmed in any of the tests, cancer has been reported in some cases. If you experience a rash, dry mouth, shortness of breath, blurred vision, diarrhea, constipation, dizziness or any other symptoms, see your physician.

LOL, thanks for the info man :thumb:

isaiahsdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, went over the 500 mile mark last night (I know I have not ridden near as much as I should be) on the way out to Pops and now that the tire is officially broken in, I must say it is the best ride I have experienced on this bike. My offer still stands to anyone with an M endorsement, if you are thinking about going to the dark side, you are welcome to take my bike for a ride and see for yourself.

I also remember a motor cop had certain concerns about the ride and without going back through all the posts, my offer also stands to him as well. It is not the fact that I am trying to prove my point, because it really is pointless, it is just that I am trying to share a good experience I have had doing something I love to do, and that is motorcycle riding.

On a side note, make Pops a destination, or a stop on the way to a destination, either way, you have to go. It is an awesome place to visit and very picturesque that shows a side of Oklahoma that I, and many people like me, really like.

Randall

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well,next time my Nomad needs a tire I will have to try that out,I have Metzlers on it now,they go 10,000,Bridgstone only went 5000.How much does that tire cost?

isaiahsdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well,next time my Nomad needs a tire I will have to try that out,I have Metzlers on it now,they go 10,000,Bridgstone only went 5000.How much does that tire cost?

Dunlop SP5000 195/60-16 $145.00 at Hibdons.

What's the best eats and drinks at Pops???

It is ALL good. And it would take quite some time to try all of the sodas. If you have never been there, you have to give it a try. All the looks, and tastes of a real 60s dinner. To bad the cost doesn't reflect the times. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom