A car tire, on a motorcycle...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

isaiahsdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thought you might like these. It is a Ural, a reproduction of a stolen Russian design of a BMW bike. There is a dealership in Missouri for them. Cool bike and it has a driveshaft that goes to the sidecar wheel. I took these with my cell phone last winter at a Downed Bikers poker run here in the city.

afarm4.static.flickr.com_3563_3688161275_728bd30bce.png

afarm4.static.flickr.com_3630_3688161233_4a92d5835f.png

afarm4.static.flickr.com_3557_3688161183_b310362962.png

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an acquaintance here in Tulsa that has a black '05 Ural with a sidecar. Not all had the drive for the sidecar wheel, his doesn't. His is also "updated" with a front disk brake.

Pretty cool bike, he gets lots of attention with it.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey Flatwins, do all you BMW's look that good? Ever thought of doing a photo shoot of them? I would be very interested. Would also like to see more pics of the others. Like I said, I have been a long time fan of BMW's.

Here's my '78 R100RS
ai655.photobucket.com_albums_uu277_flatwins_BMW_n649092436_1184781_6757.jpg

Here's a pic from our Tech Day in Edmond recently. The youngest bike in the photo was 25 while the oldest was 38
ai655.photobucket.com_albums_uu277_flatwins_BMW_20Tech_20Day_2009_PICT0275.jpg

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thought you might like these. It is a Ural, a reproduction of a stolen Russian design of a BMW bike.

Yeah the Ural is one of a couple of bikes with either roots to or a copy of BMW designs. The WWII era R75 had the output shaft that powered the sidecar wheel. There is another bike, the Chinese Chang Jiang that is a copy of a '38 R71. There were also copies by Japan in the late 50s. BMW has a history that dates back prior to WWI when they made aircraft engines. After WWI was over they were ordered to make something other than war machines so they started making motorcycles in 1923. The prototype Honda Goldwing had a BMW final drive on it since Honda hadn't made one yet.

The Airheads are beautifully simplistic machines that will run all day. BMW quit making the aircooled motor in '95. They tried to do it in '84 but the consumer base screamed too loud. The white bike in my Tech Day photo is a "Last Edition" 1984 R100CS. The "Last Edition" LASTED another 11 years. ;-)

isaiahsdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
oh elwood, you crack me up.

Flatwins, you sure do have some fine bikes. And I applaud your knowledge on them as well. Nice stuff there. I think that is why I have always admired them as well, very simple, tried and true design. It was kind of odd to see BMW go to the four cylinder bike. Kind of like when Harley produced dirt bikes and golf carts, just didn't seem right, but it did seem to work. I know of a few guys who have the 4 cylinder BMWs and they like them. Are you by any chance planning on attending Bikefest on the 18th? Sure would like to see one of them in person. Anyhow, again, thanks for sharing.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
oh elwood, you crack me up.

Flatwins, you sure do have some fine bikes. And I applaud your knowledge on them as well. Nice stuff there. I think that is why I have always admired them as well, very simple, tried and true design. It was kind of odd to see BMW go to the four cylinder bike. Kind of like when Harley produced dirt bikes and golf carts, just didn't seem right, but it did seem to work. I know of a few guys who have the 4 cylinder BMWs and they like them. Are you by any chance planning on attending Bikefest on the 18th? Sure would like to see one of them in person. Anyhow, again, thanks for sharing.

No prob! I'm a bit of a Beemer junkie if you couldn't tell. BMW still makes the K series which is the water cooled 4 cylinder machines. They had a much loved 3 cyl 750 for several years as well. The opposed twin is still around too in the newer R series. These are known as Oilheads. I don't have any of that new-fangled stuff. :)

I'll be in Colorado all next week so won't be down for Bikefest but have fun! I rarely go to that kind of thing. btw- If you'd like to see what is probably the most incredible collection of bikes under one roof, go here: http://www.barbermuseum.org/ You might need to bring a roll of paper towels to wipe up the drool. It is beyond words.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom