A fix to Oklahoma CCW law, instead of an open carry law?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oklaccer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That wouldn't work as you are suggesting. To conceal something is to render it indiscernible by the ordinary public.

It could work. What I am addressing is a change to the legal definition of "concealed", not a change to the dictionary definition. There can be a lot of wiggle room in the law and we see that every day. Why not employ the same wiggle room to our benefit? Is the glass half empty or half full? Is the weapon partly concealed or partly open? It all depends on the legal definition.

bobcat

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok. found an open carry thread i can post in. (first on i found was locked)
Im all for open carry for a few reasons the first being that it should be my choice no matter if i do or not. many arguments for both sides have been posted on these pages and some have merit, some i dont see.

as a " motorcycle enthusiast" it would be nice in the hotter days of riding if i didnt get pulled over and questioned every time my shirt flies up and spooks some "automotive enthusiast" who might be close enough to see my weapon around the backrest of my bike. just one of the situations where open carry would actualy be a good thing for those of us dodging the distracted masses.

as with any subject there are good points on both sides of the discusion but to belive a return to high noon shootouts is folly / the same was said when oklahoma adopted ccw.

in many of the state that do have open carry dinner meatings and such are common and from what ive read are usualy educational to those of the population that are not aware of the rights they have.

My point is that as an "ugly American" i have some rights that were to be guarenteed and if i choose to exercise them or not the coice should still be there.

ldmtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would certainly support open carry because I think that should be our right.
But the existing law needs to be written for all the reasons that many other people have pointed out.

aceflyer001

Marksman
Reaction score
I'd like to see OC. Probably would only open carry on my property...doubt I would anywhere else. I also like the protection of knowing I won't be "cuffed and stuffed" for an accidental flash of my handgun.

If and when OC does pass, maybe we can all meet someplace (like IHOP) and OC while we eat. I think that would be fun!!!!

I'd support open carry for this very same reason. I'm a skinny guy and guns don't conceal well on me, but with open carry I would be less concerned about accidentally printing or revealing the weapon should it happen. However, I would hope that lawmakers would not include methods that would allow store owners to take legal action against you for carrying. It's one thing for them to just simply ask you to leave, but quite another to be able to have you arrested, have your permit yanked, or file a lawsuit against you.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
120 years ago only cowards AND criminals carried concealed. Real men carried their weapons in the open.

Now concealed is the law and those who want OC are considered whack job gun nuts, a threat to the police, frighteners of the sheep, tactical retards and if given the benefit of the doubt maybe activists.

My HOW TIMES HAVE CHANGED!

As an aside if OC isn't an issue in states like Vermont and New Hampshire why would any right thinking person believe it would be an issue in Oklahoma. What's wrong with us that isn't wrong with the people in those states? How are we different? Are the citizens of states like AZ and VA more responsible than the citizens of OK?

Well!
Are they?

bobcat

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
120 years ago only cowards AND criminals carried concealed. Real men carried their weapons in the open.

Now concealed is the law and those who want OC are considered whack job gun nuts, a threat to the police, frighteners of the sheep, tactical retards and if given the benefit of the doubt maybe activists.

My HOW TIMES HAVE CHANGED!

As an aside if OC isn't an issue in states like Vermont and New Hampshire why would any right thinking person believe it would be an issue in Oklahoma. What's wrong with us that isn't wrong with the people in those states? How are we different? Are the citizens of states like AZ and VA more responsible than the citizens of OK?

Well!
Are they?

i think this may be it / we are in oklahoma after all where public opinion is given to the masses by the elected

slade1

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've followed this with much interest but I am sorry to say I don't know where the new Gov. falls on this. Will she back open carry? How much support is there for OC with the new set of people who are supposed to listen to us? If the new elected officials choose to distance themselves from us on this I don't see the OSA getting any help anytime soon.

victor152

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My two cents and an observation.

Ex-Representative Latrell explained his voting to the Ponca City Rifle and Pistol Club after the veto was upheld. I'm a registered Independent so show no sides to either party for party's sake. Rep. Latrell told the group the reason he reversed his vote was because of a small attachment that was made to the bill. I don't know when the attachment was made. This attachment would prevent law enforcement agencies from stopping and talking to ANYONE that carried open, even suspected bad guys. This was his explaination along with he didn't know who made the attachment, but it could have been from either side. One side being the anti open carry group that knew that the law enforcement agencies would be against the bill with this attachment or it could be a very pro open carry group that feel there should be absolutetly no restrictions on doing anything with a firearm. Rep. Latrell has been a 2nd amendment supporter and participated in the Friends of the NRA Banquet here in Ponca City the last two years that I'm personally aware of. Is he telling the truth? I don't know. I also don't know how our new Republican Representative feels about the subject as Rep. Latrell was voted out in the last election. Only time will tell.

I didn't follow the bill that close because I have no desire to open carry. I would support language concerning inadvertant or accidental exposures though.

Rabbitcreekok

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The NRA was no where to be found earlier this year at the Capitol on Open Carry. They actually told the legislators it "wasn't their priority." Only OK2A fought for it.

The NRA did not support the Open Carry Bill as passed because of some of the clauses in the bill were not acceptable to the NRA and the fact that some legislators stated the bill was being supported by the NRA when it was not supported.

I cannot specifically say which clauses were objectionable, but they did exist.

This year, an Open Carry Bill will be introduced which follows the NRA format, which to to support our Second Amendment Rights without compromise. Of course some amendments will most likely be added, but hopefully the bill will pass and our rights will be extended further.

There will be some folks who hate guns who will object to seeing guns carried openly, but the majority of Okies don't care. It will be a non event when those who choose to open carry do so. Just like it has been in all the other states that adopted open carry.

I've followed this with much interest but I am sorry to say I don't know where the new Gov. falls on this. Will she back open carry? How much support is there for OC with the new set of people who are supposed to listen to us? If the new elected officials choose to distance themselves from us on this I don't see the OSA getting any help anytime soon.

If you look at Mary Fallin's NRA rating, you will see that she will support any step forward in our Second Amendment Rights. Unless the bill is really messed up, I would guess she will sign the bill ASAP. I would be really surprised if she vetoed the bill.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
34 other states allow open carry. It does not cause problems or create havoc.

Why are you so quick to compromise? Compromise is what got us in this mess to begin with...

How 'bout restoring the 2nd Amendment which confers our R2KBArms? Stop compromising, and stop deciding for me how I should carry my tool to protect me and my family.

:werd:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom