A little refrigerator rant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MilitantBEEMER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wife and I are currently shopping for a new refrigerator. Our 8 year old Frigidaire is making some weird noises and we fear is about to give up the ghost.
We have narrowed our choice to a Bosch or KitchenAid. Unfortunately both are expensive and not always readily available.
I have not so high hopes that no matter what we end up with, it will be a real crap shoot?
(Had one of the first Samsung side by side refrigerators back in 2005, it was a workhorse and never a problem. Unfortunately that is no longer the case with their newest products)

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I might also add. I have a friiend who visits frequently and tends to leave the door open quite a while while getting things out of the refrigerator deciding what to put on the cabinet. When the refrigerator runs excessively, somewhere in the door water system, most likely where the water is being cooled for the door dispenser, it gets frozen to feed the icemaker. I do have to turn the frig side I usually keep at 34'-35' up to 35'-39' for a couple days for it to thaw out the line and start making ice again.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have a set of Speedqueen Washer/Dryer. New when we got married. Still going at 43 years. Only two belts and one lid button on the washer. Just a few years back we sold a home and left the Fridge we got when we were married, a Old Kenmore from Sears. It kept us in ice like crazy, two daughters, wife and I. My wife made a remark after leaving it that the new one does not make ice near as good as the old one did. I thought she was crazy, but it is a fact!

kennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LG is the only one I'll buy. We found out that the ice maker slows way down unless the freezer is set to negative 6 degrees. They hid that info in the manual from me. I turned it down to neg. 6 and boom, tons of ice

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why do the manufacturers make products that fail to produce an inadequate supply of ice? I certainly isn't environmental-like the washers of today that fail to fill up with water and grinds clothes. Aside from refrigerators, we bought a "made in America Whirlpool washer that I previously posted about, it grinds clothes so I looked into the Speed Queen washers and the one that was recommended was costly-sure, no problem there but it does not fill up with water either. Over the years I used to buy Maytag and could repair them and have given my old Maytags away. I'd like to have my old Maytag again, it washed clothes properly!

BUDMAN-BILL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You guys will never believe this. So my wife and mother went shopping today, just got home as a matter of a fact, she informed me that lowes is gonna be delivering a new washer and dryer Tuesday. You can’t make this crap up!! Not a damn thing wrong with the old set other than, yup the color!! These are made by Samsung. 32 years of being married and I’ve totally lost my man card. Just because Im retired and she still works makes her think she wears the pants.. Im gonna be ordering a Chastity belt. No lie..

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i hear nothing but problems from anyone i know who has bought a new anything. i rock old appliances and they seem to keep churning.
my reasoning is, if this thing lasted 20, 30, in some cases (like muh upright freezer i got from a user here for free) 50 or 60 years, i would *bet* it's gonna last me at least 5 or 10 more. and that's all people get out of new ones, so.
There is some truth to your comments. I got a fridge from my parents as a wedding gift. Cheap single door with an internal freezer door on the top in the hot lime color of the day. It eventually became a beer box in the garage but kept ticking. I think it made over 30 years before it finally died.
We put it to rest with 7 lbs of tannerite for a "big bang" going away party.
The new ones only use about 1/3 of the current the older ones did back in the day that only cooled. Over the years, that current savings/electrical bill savings will pay off.
The accessories that are currently installed are what fails typically like ice makers, computer access, etc.

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Modern side by side refrigerators are designed with automatic defrost systems controlled by computer processors. Unfortunately, the sensors that monitor box temperatures are usually placed immediately adjacent to the evaporation coils where they can become encased in ice in such situations as when a refrigerator door is left open. In these situations, the processors continue to receive data indicating a cold refrigerator box because the sensor is covered in ice even though the box itself becomes too warm to store food. The only refrigerators that are designed and built for reliability (such as Sub Zero) are inordinately expensive <$15K. Another design factor that would improve the efficiency of consumer grade refrigerators would be to relocate condensation coils and compressors on top of the units. This reduces the accumulation of dust on the coils and components where heat is exchanged. This would also keep warm components above refrigerator boxes so that heat can rise away from the units without passing around the cold areas. This is just my opinion and I’m sticking to it…..

Latest posts

Top Bottom