A question for all Members of OSA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Regarding GTG's quote of the law... Am I reading this wrong, or does it basically say that no law needs to be passed and that individual School Boards can determine who can and cannot carry on the schools within their district?

IANAL, which is why I haven't specifically addressed that aspect. But, I'm working on it. :)

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not putting a price of our kids safety guys. Not even suggesting that.
Just pointing out that there's a huge overhead issue when it comes to hiring new folks.

I'm just saying I still think the best option is supporting the people who are already in the classroom.

And for what it's worth $40K would make a huge difference per school if it was used for improving classroom technology.

skyydiver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not putting a price of our kids safety guys. Not even suggesting that.
Just pointing out that there's a huge overhead issue when it comes to hiring new folks.

I'm just saying I still think the best option is supporting the people who are already in the classroom.

And for what it's worth $40K would make a huge difference per school if it was used for improving classroom technology.

I know you aren't, and I somewhat agree. My only reservation is that for the most part, teachers are teachers. I wouldn't want a reluctant, or even half assed "guard". As long as the duty is taken very seriously, and every school has a willing and able few teachers, fine.

dru

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would pledge money, ammo, and if they need practice in order to get comfortable with their weapon, I would be willing to let them use mind under my supervision

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would donate as much time as needed, and can afford to probably pitch to get the school an XD, Glock, M&P...whatever. Honestly, I think it would be cheaper AND better in the long run to hire two private "guards" for every school. No drug enforcement, no tattling, no police duties...just VIP protection for 600 or so little VIPs. Certify some Vets returning from the sandbox looking for a job (one that they can be proud to do), give em say $40,000 per year each (far less than a teacher with full bennie package), and have dedicated security. Yes, it costs, but I doubt more than the teacher idea. Anyway, whichever way, I support with my time and finances some form of real security in the schools.

I would like to know in what district a teacher with a benefits package is over 40K a year. Maybe with a masters plus 20 years experience but no not the average.

Plus hiring support staff for full time positions results in mandatory requirements as well regarding benefits and insurance.

I know you aren't, and I somewhat agree. My only reservation is that for the most part, teachers are teachers. I wouldn't want a reluctant, or even half assed "guard". As long as the duty is taken very seriously, and every school has a willing and able few teachers, fine.

I know more than a few who would not be what you classify as reluctant, or half ass guardians.

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2 of my good friends are teachers and neither have been "pro gun" but not anti-gun either. Both came to me over the weekend asking my opinion on what's going on. I told them short of having armed security at the school, the best defense is the teacher in the classroom. They both agreed. Both asked if I'd help them get started. Told them I'd be glad too. The guy picked it up ridiculously quickly, natural shooter really. The girl needs some more work but eager to learn. She's got the gun safety part figured out already thankfully. I plan to buy them both their first carry gun after they get through the actual legal courses for their CCW. I'm excited for them. They also told me that some of the other teachers have been talking about it too. So, there is hope yet.

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2 of my good friends are teachers and neither have been "pro gun" but not anti-gun either. Both came to me over the weekend asking my opinion on what's going on. I told them short of having armed security at the school, the best defense is the teacher in the classroom. They both agreed. Both asked if I'd help them get started. Told them I'd be glad too. The guy picked it up ridiculously quickly, natural shooter really. The girl needs some more work but eager to learn. She's got the gun safety part figured out already thankfully. I plan to buy them both their first carry gun after they get through the actual legal courses for their CCW. I'm excited for them. They also told me that some of the other teachers have been talking about it too. So, there is hope yet.

that is awesome. Thanks for doing that for them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom