A utility company locked thousands of customers out of their “smart” thermostats in Colorado

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Asking, can technology through Alexa turn on or off appliances via internet. Can it be controlled via third party. Would the government strong arm companies to have control.
Yes, yes and yes.

As pointed out, smart meters can't turn off individual appliances and HVAC systems. Smart thermostats however, can be controlled centrally. The operative part is whether the user agreement contains language that "opts you into" central control.

Some of the systems have been set up to do that, some haven't. Just understand that if you can control your appliance(s) remotely, then the supplier can too. I really don't care all that much about smart meters because the power company already has the ability to shut you off on command.

I do NOT allow remote access controls on any of my personally purchased equipment. The only user supplied equipment in my home is the cable/internet because same as the power company, they can shut you off remotely anyway.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Asking, can technology through Alexa turn on or off appliances via internet. Can it be controlled via third party. Would the government strong arm companies to have control.
If you get a smart appliance then probably so. Smart fridg, washer and drier, elec stove. Anything connected to the Internet will be up for remote control by you or the powers that be.

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1726798350181.jpeg

Harp13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I removed my OG&E smart hours thermostats a couple of years ago.

I think I started using smart hours in 2012. Low $0.06 / kWh 1PM to 7PM and "Emergency" rate was at $0.46/kWh 2PM to 6PM

2012 - 118 days 60 were lowest rate and 31 were normal rate. 75% low/normal Average peak rate $0.128/kWh

2013 - 122 days (only tracked the first 72 days) 54% low/normal Avg Peak $0.163 / kWh

I was mostly tracking the daily rate using emails and text/voice messages, but had the option to look at the thermostat. Too much work so I stopped checking.

Was not that big of a deal when the family was out of the house during the day. In 2020 started working from home, so it was more uncomfortable to leave the thermostat alone during the hottest part of the day.

I should have kept looking at it. In June 2022, I heard a KFOR story that the average Smart Hours customer was not saving anything, so I opted out.

Remember that SmartHours on-peak rate can rise as high as 43 cents per kWh
“We don’t expect our customers to shift, but the goal is for us to reduce those summer peaks because when we have to go out and produce and buy more energy, it’s very expensive,” said King.
One OG&E customer asked a representative if he was saving money with SmartHours; she responded, “yes, you are not saving anything,” during a recorded phone call.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I removed my OG&E smart hours thermostats a couple of years ago.

I think I started using smart hours in 2012. Low $0.06 / kWh 1PM to 7PM and "Emergency" rate was at $0.46/kWh 2PM to 6PM

2012 - 118 days 60 were lowest rate and 31 were normal rate. 75% low/normal Average peak rate $0.128/kWh

2013 - 122 days (only tracked the first 72 days) 54% low/normal Avg Peak $0.163 / kWh

I was mostly tracking the daily rate using emails and text/voice messages, but had the option to look at the thermostat. Too much work so I stopped checking.

Was not that big of a deal when the family was out of the house during the day. In 2020 started working from home, so it was more uncomfortable to leave the thermostat alone during the hottest part of the day.

I should have kept looking at it. In June 2022, I heard a KFOR story that the average Smart Hours customer was not saving anything, so I opted out.

Remember that SmartHours on-peak rate can rise as high as 43 cents per kWh
“We don’t expect our customers to shift, but the goal is for us to reduce those summer peaks because when we have to go out and produce and buy more energy, it’s very expensive,” said King.
One OG&E customer asked a representative if he was saving money with SmartHours; she responded, “yes, you are not saving anything,” during a recorded phone call.
You're not saving anything because when the home warms up during the peak hours, it takes a lot of AC to bring it back down to temp vs leaving it on a set temperature setting where it cycles on and off. It saves OG&E money that doesn't have to be passed down to the consumer as they are a regulated business by the Oklahoma Corporation Commission. They are guaranteed a profit which is very small compared to what a small business has to make in order to stay in business.
The profit must go right back into the maintenance and operation of the plants by law. There is no Elon Musk rich person at the head of OG&E.
They are right, buying power off the grid on the open market is extremely expensive. OG&E sells their excess power on the open market as well if there is any.
The purpose of the smart meters was to save them money to prevent an increase in user rates per KWH.

Latest posts

Top Bottom