Accuracy training

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I usually attend the OKC matches. USPSA and Steel Challenge. Hunting season is winding down, so its back to matches. :D

Planning on hitting some of the Sunday Evening matches at H&H and Wilshire ranges, as well as the USPSA and Steel at the Ponca City Range.

Occasionally wander over to the USSA in Tulsa for USPSA matches.
....when you go holler. ....I think I have the itch, but we will see in the 7th.
What's the steel challenge like? like uspsa but it's all steel?

Sent from the Armory

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Steel challenge doesn't require movement around a stage like USPSA.

Its a speed shoot. Steel plates are set up and painted to make sure you see where/if shots hit.

.22 rimfire pistol is what most competitors use, but centerfire pistols are allowed as well. Slightly different rules if using a center fire. If shooting a .22 rimfire pistol, you have the gun drawn and at the ready position pointed at a flag 12' in front of the firing line. At the beep of the timer, you shoot/ring the steel plates as fast as you can. There is one plate designated as the "stop plate". Its the last plate to shoot and will stop the time.

There is also a .22 rimfire rifle division. Bring out the 10-22 and a couple of mags and your good to play with that as well.
I always enter both divisions, rifle and pistol.
Starting this month, new rules at steel challenge will allow pistol caliber carbine rifles at the matches, so if you have a 9mm-whatever, its OK. Magnum carbines are not allowed.

Centerfire pistol shooters start at the "surrender" position with hands held up at shoulder level, drawing from a holster.

Steel Challenge with its lack of movement is a great competition for everybody. Teaches you how to rapidly acquire targets, check reliability of your pistol/rifle and is a friendly match for folks that have movement issues, youngsters, etc.

We have a Wheel Chair occupant that shoots the Ponca City Steel Challenge that has no legs. He is nowhere in the back of the pack when the scores come out. :D

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I should be at the next USPSA match at OKCGC as well as the Steel Challenge match on January 17th. USPSA involves shooter movement as well as accuracy while your are on the clock.

Do a google search for Steel Challenge and you can see what the standard stage designs look like. We typically shoot 5 or 6 stages at the Steel Challenge match. Shooting for Steel Challenge is stationary, it's about getting your hits as fast as you can on the clock.

Steel Challenge you can shoot Centerfire handguns, 22lr pistols, 22lr rifles, and for the first time they are going to let you shoot a 9mm carbine for those that have that too. You can shoot more than 1 gun or type if you choose to. Second gun is only $5 more.

Don't worry about your finish, just be safe, have fun, but most importantly come out and shoot!

Hope to see you at the match(s)

edit to add: Dennis beat me to more of the info ^^^^^^ :)

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Steel challenge doesn't require movement around a stage like USPSA.

Its a speed shoot. Steel plates are set up and painted to make sure you see where/if shots hit.

.22 rimfire pistol is what most competitors use, but centerfire pistols are allowed as well. Slightly different rules if using a center fire. If shooting a .22 rimfire pistol, you have the gun drawn and at the ready position pointed at a flag 12' in front of the firing line. At the beep of the timer, you shoot/ring the steel plates as fast as you can. There is one plate designated as the "stop plate". Its the last plate to shoot and will stop the time.

There is also a .22 rimfire rifle division. Bring out the 10-22 and a couple of mags and your good to play with that as well.
I always enter both divisions, rifle and pistol.
Starting this month, new rules at steel challenge will allow pistol caliber carbine rifles at the matches, so if you have a 9mm-whatever, its OK. Magnum carbines are not allowed.

Centerfire pistol shooters start at the "surrender" position with hands held up at shoulder level, drawing from a holster.

Steel Challenge with its lack of movement is a great competition for everybody. Teaches you how to rapidly acquire targets, check reliability of your pistol/rifle and is a friendly match for folks that have movement issues, youngsters, etc.

We have a Wheel Chair occupant that shoots the Ponca City Steel Challenge that has no legs. He is nowhere in the back of the pack when the scores come out. :D
I'm in....how many rounds and any gear requirment??
I should be at the next USPSA match at OKCGC as well as the Steel Challenge match on January 17th. USPSA involves shooter movement as well as accuracy while your are on the clock.

Do a google search for Steel Challenge and you can see what the standard stage designs look like. We typically shoot 5 or 6 stages at the Steel Challenge match. Shooting for Steel Challenge is stationary, it's about getting your hits as fast as you can on the clock.

Steel Challenge you can shoot Centerfire handguns, 22lr pistols, 22lr rifles, and for the first time they are going to let you shoot a 9mm carbine for those that have that too. You can shoot more than 1 gun or type if you choose to. Second gun is only $5 more.

Don't worry about your finish, just be safe, have fun, but most importantly come out and shoot!

Hope to see you at the match(s)

edit to add: Dennis beat me to more of the info ^^^^^^ :)
I'll be there. Might as well let freedom ring hahahahahah

Sent from the Armory

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Steel challenge rules say the pistol has to be in a bag when coming to the firing line. It can be a back pack or what ever. When it comes out of the bag, muzzle must be pointed down range. You shoot 5 times at the steel array. So, if its 5 steel targets per stage, you will shoot a minimum of 25 times on that stage.
You will see what most use when you get there. If shooting from a holster, it will be from the surrender position. If you don't have enough mags, ask for a loader to help. Somebody will step up and load your mags while your shooting to help the match progress.

Really, its a no loose match. Lots of fun. :D

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Steel challenge rules say the pistol has to be in a bag when coming to the firing line. It can be a back pack or what ever. When it comes out of the bag, muzzle must be pointed down range. You shoot 5 times at the steel array. So, if its 5 steel targets per stage, you will shoot a minimum of 25 times on that stage.
You will see what most use when you get there. If shooting from a holster, it will be from the surrender position. If you don't have enough mags, ask for a loader to help. Somebody will step up and load your mags while your shooting to help the match progress.

Really, its a no loose match. Lots of fun. :D

I have 6 mags total, 2 extended and my gear won't be in for a few weeks but I have one that is built to be light bearing and I'd need more mag pouches
and 200 rounds should be plenty?
Entry fee is 15?

Sent from the Armory

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, yes and Yes.

I've carried mags in my back pockets. Still do. Keep one mag back there to put a Barney round in the chamber, then load a full mag into the gun.

Barney round? Remember the old TV show Mayberry? The Deputy Barney Fife was only allowed to carry one round in his gun?

That is where the Barney round came from. :D

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, yes and Yes.

I've carried mags in my back pockets. Still do. Keep one mag back there to put a Barney round in the chamber, then load a full mag into the gun.

Barney round? Remember the old TV show Mayberry? The Deputy Barney Fife was only allowed to carry one round in his gun?

That is where the Barney round came from. :D
Is the barney round for the last plate?

Sent from the Armory

Latest posts

Top Bottom