Action Alert; HJR1009 in trouble

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hit the road, Jack is what I'd tell the thunder.
They don't run the .2nd.

That's all well and good for folks on a gun forum but the reality is that the Thunder do make a significant economic impact on our state. AND the implication that the Thunder would have to start allowing people to carry at their games (while I would have no problem with that) is absolutely false. AIUI

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Response I got from Senator Brooks:

On Apr 20, 2016, at 2:31 PM, Corey Brooks <[email protected]> wrote:

Thank you for your interest in the 2nd Amendment rights of all Americans, and particularly Oklahomans, that we both share. As is common during the more critical weeks of the Legislative session, rumors of all sorts abound. Please allow me to dispel upfront the rumor that I am opposed to HJR 1009, or that I am somehow trying to block it from coming to the floor. Unlike the US Senate, individual Oklahoma Senate members do not have the power to block votes from being heard. Whoever is spreading these rumors has either an ulterior motive, or very limited knowledge of how the Legislative process works. Either way, I support HJR 1009 and fully anticipate that it will be heard before the week is out. This bill will help protect our fundamental 2nd Amendment rights here in Oklahoma by mandating the courts apply the highest of thresholds to future Oklahoma gun laws – strict scrutiny.

Strict scrutiny relies on a three-prong test that must be proven before a law can be upheld: it must be a compelling state interest; the law must be narrowly tailored; and it must be accomplished through the least restrictive means possible. Traditionally, across the nation, only 30% of cases involving strict scrutiny as the legal threshold meet this intense litmus test, and are upheld.

The one concern of many members is that as we take action to protect these rights, we also do it in a responsible manner. The states that have gone down this road before us, like Louisiana and Arizona, have made provisions that protect entities such as public sports arenas (OKC Thunder and NCAA Tournaments, to name a few, which would leave our state due to NBA and NCAA contractual rules should guns be allowed at their venues), critical infrastructure, schools, prisons and the like. I have worked directly with the author to address these issues and negotiations continue. I do not see that this will do anything but strengthen our state as we move toward more broad 2nd Amendment rights here at home.

The Legislative process is a very fluid process and the real test of a member’s views on an issue come on final passage of a measure. Up to that point, bills can change and morph dramatically, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse, and sometimes to something altogether different. I assure you, when this measure comes to the floor, I will be on the right side of it.

Again, thank you for reaching out to me on this very important matter involving our inherent rights as US Citizens.

Respectfully,

Senator Corey D. Brooks
Office: (405) 521-5522
[email protected]
<image001.png>
Follow me on Twitter: @SenCoreyBrooks
Like me on Facebook: www.facebook.com/SenatorCoreyBrooks
Link with me on LinkedIn: www.linkedin/pub/corey-d-brooks/7/620/7/

CDB/ksd

Respectfully,

Senator Corey D. Brooks
Office: (405) 521-5522
[email protected]
<image001.png>
Follow me on Twitter: @SenCoreyBrooks
Like me on Facebook: www.facebook.com/SenatorCoreyBrooks
Link with me on LinkedIn: www.linkedin/pub/corey-d-brooks/7/620/7/

CDB/ksd

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Response from Senator Holt:

Thanks for your e-mail.

I have no control over whether HJR 1009 is voted on by the Senate.

Regarding the substance of the bill, there are consequences to aspects of it that need to be discussed. HJR 1009 would apply a “strict scrutiny” test to all existing gun laws in the state of Oklahoma. I am an attorney and have spoken to others as well, and there is no one I know who thinks the ban on guns in Chesapeake Arena (a publicly-owned facility) would likely withstand a strict scrutiny test. A total ban in the arena is not narrowly tailored or the least restrictive means possible (components of the strict scrutiny test). And the NBA has no tolerance for guns in their games. That doesn’t mean that HJR 1009 doesn’t accomplish other important goals, but we have to look at all the consequences. The Oklahoma City Thunder has been an incredible boon to our state’s economy and image. HJR 1009 as currently written would lead to their eventual departure. Other states with permissive gun laws like Louisiana and Arizona have always grandfathered in such sports arena laws or made specific exceptions. I don’t know why we would want to break with those traditions and cost ourselves such an important institution. It may be that you feel as I do when the issues are explained. It may be that you don’t. But to the extent I have any concerns about HJR 1009, that is their basis.

Sincerely,
David

Senator David Holt (R – Oklahoma City)
Thirtieth District of Oklahoma
Chairman, Appropriations Subcommittee on Select Agencies
(405) 521-5636
[email protected]
Facebook: /davidfullerholt
Twitter: @davidfholt
Instagram: @davidfullerholt

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think Brooks is full of it. The Thunder and NCAA will leave OK if these pass is BS. He makes it sound like if this resolution passes the Thunder and NCAA would have to allow the carrying of firearms at their venues. From what I can see that simply isn't true. Just like the BS passed off by the Chamber last year.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Blood will run in the streets argument. My senator Eddie Field sent me a reply today as well about the fair and the thunder being such great things.
I sent an email back that money and private interests don't control the 2nd amendment. Hit the road jack.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What are the specific issues that Senators Fields, Holt, and Brooks have?

Is it related to the failed attempts to change the language of the proposed amendment (deleting "strict scrutiny" and adding certain exemptions)?

It would probably cut into their high roller campaign donations and Chamber of Commerce endorsements if they failed to oppose the bill. :mad:

I didn't need the Thunder before they came here and I won't need them any more or less if they leave. The NBA doesn't control the State of Oklahoma. Oklahomans do. If they need a reminder that they're here at no cost to them, so be it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom