Advice About Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have 3 because they've become my favorite handgun. I shoot them for fun and in competition. The only known issue that I am aware of with M&P's thats gone unfixed is the slide release breaking. But take into account that it takes many thousands of uses to shear off.

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just sold one to pick up a Glock 19 for concealed carry. I did carry the M&P 9mm on a regular basis. I am 6' 2" and about 230-240lbs. I never had any real issues carrying the fullsize pistol. The butt did stick out some if you bent over though. I couldn't carry with a T-shirt on but usually wear a button up "cowboy" type shirt anyway. I never had anyone notice the gun with that type of shirt on, not even my firearm enthusiast family members that knew I carried. The gun functioned flawlessly in the 1500 ish rounds I put through it. I bought it as a do-all type gun. Carry, competition, and range use. It did those things well but after getting into uspsa production shooting more I felt I needed a Glock 34. So I bought one and a Glock 19 to carry. If you want a do-all type gun and don't want to get ultra serious about shooting uspsa or some other specialized shooting sport it should work well. Probably it would hang well in the idpa circuit. Any way that's my experience with it. All good, only sold it to get two pistols I wanted a little more than the one.

Forgot to add I carried in a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB.

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the M&P 9c, 9 Pro, and full size .40 S&W. So you can tell I am a fan of the M&P line. I have had no issues and feel completely confident in carrying the M&Pc as a concealed weapon.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The M&p's seem to function well for me..M&P 40
The reasoning behind getting a compact and extending the mag doesnt sound like a good idea to me.
The reason for a compact is the shorter grip, why loose barrel lenght then extend the mag?
I also find the longer barrel to stabalize the gun better in a comptac style IWB holster.
It may work well for others but the idea of a compensated gun for cc....wouldnt it blind you in low light/dark shooting situations?...(never shot one just read about them....so Im asking)
GoodLuck in your ...never endin search for the ..right gun...I carry a G23 sometimes too...it has a shorter grip..2 less rds in the mag(13 vs 15....= shot placement)
Then there's the six shot snubby...well you know where this can go.... LOL

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might have him look at the S&W SD9. I have been saving for an M&P 9 then ran across the SD9 and after doing some research i'm considering going that route. Brand new you can find them online for $360-400. It's a more affordable option, but looks to be just as reliable and accurate as the M&P. It also comes standard with a tridium front sight. Empty weight is 22 oz. and holds 16 rounds. Hope i didn't hijack your thread, just trying to give ya some more options in the smith lineup.
havent seen these before...looks interesting...and in expensive...Thanks
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
havent seen these before...looks interesting...and in expensive...Thanks
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php

If the SD9 trigger pull is in any way similar to the S&W Sigma, just run away and don't look back. Do not assume a spring kit, trigger job, or anything else will make the trigger pull "normal" for common expectations. Many S&W Sigma customers learned that the expensive way.
If the trigger pull (and everything else) is just as good as an M&P, then why is it priced so much lower? Be very careful with this SD9 before spending any money. I would personally insist on firing a full box of ammo through one before purchasing it, but I was burned by the S&W Sigma before so I'm very cautious.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks, Everyone.

Now, I have a follow-up question in regards to cleaning. I've never had one of the M&P's and I wonder how it would compare with a Springfield XD as far as breakdown for cleaning is concerned. Also, since the M&P's have the interchangeable backstrap, is there any issue with powder residue or other "gunk" getting inside that backstrap?

While I plan on going to H&H today to see if they rent the M&P 9c for my nephew, I'll also ask someone there if they could demonstrate the breakdown for cleaning.

Now that I've said that, I wonder if the will even allow that. I guess I'll find out.

Thanks again.

Terry

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went to H&H this afternoon and checked out that they do have the M&P 9c models for rent. I also went over to the sales area and checked out how the M&P would break down for cleaning. It looks like it has a "lever" similar to the ones on the Springfield XD's for removing the slide. I'd almost bet money they are very close to the same for breaking down and cleaning. (Oh, and incidentally.....they won't break them down for you to see how they break apart.)

However, this trip to the gun store looks to be one that will now cost me some money. After we looked at the M&P, the wife said, "What would they have in the way of a short shotgun?"

Now, we are looking at a Remington model 870 black short 12 gauge shotgun.

Dang.....this woman is beginning to get expensive after 43 years of marriage.

Terry

A

ArmedCivy

If the SD9 trigger pull is in any way similar to the S&W Sigma, just run away and don't look back. Do not assume a spring kit, trigger job, or anything else will make the trigger pull "normal" for common expectations. Many S&W Sigma customers learned that the expensive way.
If the trigger pull (and everything else) is just as good as an M&P, then why is it priced so much lower? Be very careful with this SD9 before spending any money. I would personally insist on firing a full box of ammo through one before purchasing it, but I was burned by the S&W Sigma before so I'm very cautious.

I kinda just bought one sight unseen online from cheaperthandirt for $367 shipped to B.A.N.G., i'll post a seperate thread once i get it and i'll express what i think of it. Don't want to hijack this thread for that.