Advice for a Gun Safe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Doyle

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have noticed that my gun collection has increased in value over the last month and need to purchase my first gun safe in order to protect this investment. I currently have 4 long guns and 4 hand guns. Is there a particular opening mechanism that you all prefer? Are there manufactures that you have strong feeling toward? I'm just beginning my search and appreciate any advice you can give. Thank you.

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I cannot comment on your question, but I can add "go bigger than you think you need".

Many of us have learned this lesson. You will be putting all kinds of stuff in this safe and you will be buying more guns.... GO BIG!

Mr. Doyle

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I seem to have left out mention of a desired price range. :homer: I would like to be around $600 or less. Are these worth my money, or need I go higher to gain any real security?

Wolf44

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
$600 save your money and buy something that will do something more than locking a door.

These are my opinions- since some companies are now suing people for speaking the truth about a product and their experiences with that company.

U need to decide if you want fire, theft, or both. Each one adds $$$$. So if you really just want a portable closet that locks, buy a cheap Stack On or whatever weighs 50-80#'s and save your money.

Best bang for the buck for a quality and actual US made safe is Champion Trophy series. It will meet the fire specs, although not 7 guage steel so theft is a possible.

If you want both - fire for certain and increased theft protection = SturdySafe, Ft Knox, Graffunder, etc. But it will blow your wallet to get thicker steel and options for Diamond plate etc.....

Finally - bolt it down, yah thats fine, it gives thieves a nice sturdy base to cut and pry against.......any safe without diamond plate or <8ga steel. Everyone carries portable tools / cutters = food for thought.

Don't get sucked into the Cannon, Liberty, Browning, Winchester bla bla bla models . Find a distributer who carries multiple lines to hopefully acquire the truth on build quality and fire protection ratings - and where they are Truly Built with materials from ???. Also, check out Sturdy Safe's website and watch the vids. Even if you don't buy one, get educated.

I've seen Patriot and some others, but have yet to determine their backgrounds/builds and materials quality. There is a company here in OKC I think, Bear Safes I believe, and would be worth a visit due to local"

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ArmorVault is also a local OKC company with really good gun safes that I would recommend a visit to. $600 really doesn't buy anything that would keep someone out.

pritch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't rely only on a safe. Nothing is impenetrable, given enough time. Deny them the time with good door locks, a quality alarm, dogs, CCTV, etc. placement and installation can also increase difficulty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Latest posts

Top Bottom