Advice for a Gun Safe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have to agree with the above. I have both my safes tied directly to my alarm system. If anyone tries to move it (it's bolted down) pry it or anything else, it trips the alarm system. I had to adjust the sensitivity because my 73 corvette would set it off when I fired it up.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really wouldn't even bother buying anything on that budget. I'd probably just wait until I could afford a little more. The minimum I'd probably look at is a Liberty Fatboy Jr. which is around $1100. H&H I think will have one more sale this year though and you should be able to get 10% off.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can recommend liberty. I own two now and am looking at a third. I am considering a Pendleton also. But will prob buy another liberty. I would stay away from a bear. I do not like their "job box " style locks keys get lost and most people I know hide a key close by. Also no real fire protection. Buy bigger than you ever think you'll need as others have said other valuables find there way inside. I also don't like the electronic keypad locks either. I myself will only buy a combination style. I realize most of these mentioned are out of your budget. But keep saving and buy what you like its a good investment in peace of mind. I recently bought the safe alert system also let's me know by text if the safes get hot are shaken or opened. They are made by liberty but will work with most safes.

Wolf44

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Being asked, and will clarify my comments.

Bolt to the Floor IS good. Its all systemic. Just don't see the reason if your buying a cheap safe that doesn't have the means to protect your items (door, sidewalls, locking mech. etc......)

Fire protection = don't trust the numbers posted by the mass marketed lines.

Break-in = bolt it down, heavy ga steel, diamond plate if able, quality locking mechs,.

System = home security et al play just as much a role in it..

Last edited:

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nothing is impenetrable, given enough time.

This is the real problem. So buy the best you can and have backup in place (addt. security measures). But know given the opportunity they all can be busted open. That being said, even a cheap safe is better than none.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
2 smaller safes of the same quality can be better than one large safe. Any safe can be accessed. How long it takes depends on the way it is built. Regardless it takes twice as long to break into two safes.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Mr. Doyle

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments. I have learned that my $600 hopeful price was quite a bit shy of buying anything decent. I will save more and buy a stronger and high fire rated safe.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After doing quite a bit of research about "safes" (most of which are residential securing containers) and after speaking with my brother who works with steel for a living, I went with Ft. Knox with several upgrades. Steel thickness is the key. The vast majority of attacks are going to be brute force. Hinges, bolts, lock mechanism, etc is meaningless when a guy takes Metabo with some cutting discs and cuts through the side of your "safe". Anything thinner than 3/16 and you can use a Metabo like a skilsaw through plywood. Once you step up to 3/16, then you have to grind your way through. It takes exponentially longer. I started out thinking I'd spend $1,000 and ended up spending over $6,000. Even still, I know just buying time. Anything made by man can be destroyed by man.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Something is better than nothing. Make sure the fire ratings are UL listed. Buy the next size up from what you think you need. E-lock.

Latest posts

Top Bottom