Advice on wpn for me/ me wife.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan

New to the site!
Reaction score
Hello all!
My wife and I are looking to get a pair of weapons for carry/conceal and home defense. Would ask for some advice on pistols that would be best. We have both handled weapons before, hunting/target practice. I was recommended by one person for the Highpoint brand but have otherwise heard that they are a crap-shoot.
Many thanks for any help!

Evan

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Evan,

Welcome to OSA! Unfortunately your information request is very vague and difficult to answer. First off, we usually refer to them as handguns rather than weapons. You're not buying a handgun to assault someone with, it's for defense. That's no different than buying an insurance policy. It's merely a tool, nothing more. How effective a tool it is depends on your mindset and how much you're willing to train with it. We always recommend advanced training beyond the minimum Oklahoma SDA class. It really doesn't do anything for you in terms of how to effectively use one. Using it for enjoyment as well as training is another way to maximize the return on your investment.

Now, on to selection. We usually don't recommend a specific brand or caliber. Lots of OSA'ers will tell you what their favorite is, but that's just about the same as user reviews on any consumer website. They're rarely objective and each one is arrived at using different criteria. Based on handgun effectiveness, I tend to recommend something in the 9mm/.38 special caliber for a starter gun. Going for a big bore right off is usually a mistake, due to the higher ammo costs and additional recoil. The same goes for tiny .380 caliber pistols. The ammo is expensive and they usually have a lot of recoil. You usually get what you pay for with handguns and I recommend spending as much as you can comfortably afford, while leaving enough left over for ammo, cleaning supplies and training. If a Hi-Point is all you can afford, well, it's better than nothing. Something in the Glock, S&W, Kahr Arms, etc. category is definitely preferred. On the less expensive side, a Kel-Tec, Taurus, Rossi, etc. will serve you much better.

The most important criteria is how well you can manipulate and shoot the handgun. Buying an $800 H&K or 1911 will do you no good if it doesn't fit you well. The best way to see and try lots of different handguns is to go somewhere like the 2A Shooting Center or Medlock's. They have an indoor ranges where you can shoot several different types. The key is to ask lots of questions and handle as many as you can get your hands on. It would be nice to have handguns of the same brand and type for you and your wife, but that may not be practical. What fits her may not coincide with what fits you.

Considerations for concealed carry are different than home defense. A Hi-Point will be extremely heavy and bulky, making it a poor choice for concealment. On the flip side of the coin, a Scandium framed S&W .38 will conceal and carry beautifully, but be a handful to shoot. On body carry is always preferred, but many women will opt for purse carry due to clothing considerations. They make concealed carry purses and holsters specifically designed for women’s carry.

One additional consideration is getting a .22lr pistol or .22lr conversion kit if you choose a handgun(s) that have them available. These can really stretch your training dollar with inexpensive ammo, plus they’re great fun. I always try to start newer shooters off on a .22 to get them up to speed on gun handling without the recoil factor. I find it really pays off when they move to the defense size calibers.

Last, check out the stickies and popular threads in the Self Defense and Concealed Carry (CCW) and Handgun General Discussion sections. They have a wealth of information that will help you make decisions. Congratulations on making the leap to covering your own defensive needs and good luck!

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you wanting to get identical weapons? If so, find out what she's comfortable with, what fits her hand, what trigger pull she can manage, what slide she can operate and then see if that gun will work for you too. There are many guns out there that just don't work for certain women. Too difficult to pull the slide back, too heavy of a trigger pull, etc. If you don't mind the guns being different, then just get whatever you each really like. I might suggest staying with the same caliber though.

dowmace

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Do not use a highpoint for self defense. I own one in 45 and yes it does shoot decently for 150 dollar gun but I'd never trust my life with it.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
go to the range and handle as many guns as you want. be open minded though, you may have ideas on what you or your wife might want and end up with something different altogether. see which guns point naturally for both of you and then see if that translates to the actual firing of the gun. some may argue with me but in my experience just because a gun feels good in your hands doesn't mean you can shoot it worth a darn and vice-versa. good luck and welcome to the forum
p.s. when you figure out what you want buy it from one of the sponsors!

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
go talk to Patrick at BANG (Broken Arrow National Guns) he is a board sponsor....

Times a bazillon!!

A Ruger LC9 might fit you needs.

I just bought one off of Saddlebum and LOVE IT!! Very accurate, fits my hand better than the LCP and I can still conceal it very easily on my person.

And I'm gonna 4th, 5th and 6th the going to the range and shooting rentals ... Then I'm gonna add conceal carry guns IMHO are not the same as guns you shoot for pleasure but you HAVE to find a gun that you are comfortable enough with that you will practice with it.

Case in point. I bought a LCP. Nice gun, fits my hand, dead on accurate, easy to conceal -- thing is a MFer to shoot (and I'm not a new shooter by any stretch of the imagination). I HATE IT. So ... practicing with it was murder. My hands would hurt for days after I shot even 10 rounds through it.

LC9 is everything the LCP is but it's also easier on my hands to shoot. I will actually practice with it and that's a good thing because you don't want to carry a gun you don't practice with. If (God forbid) you have to pull it you will find yourself focused on the gun instead of the bad guys and that's not a good thing. Your gun handling needs to be as reflexive as possible and the only way to get that is through practice.

So find guns that you are comfortable with (I'd bet you a plug nickel and a cup of coffee that you two will not be comfortable with the same gun) and go practice!

Welcome to OKShooters!

Latest posts

Top Bottom