Advice on wpn for me/ me wife.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yeah BB I saw you grabbed that LC9....let me know a full review later on....been wanting one for a while and just never pulled the trigger on it.

how is the trigger? how does it shoot? if they took the pros from the sr9c and applied it to the lcp it should be a wonderful little pistol

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a class called Firearms For Women. The class teaches fundamentals of shooting and handling a handgun + women shoot 14 different handguns of different sizes, calibers, and weights. I teach women how to determine if a handgun fits their hand and we talk about the power of the gun/caliber. After the class a student will have a real good idea of type of gun that is right for them and they also will have ruled out some sizes and calibers of guns.

We discuss what makes a good concealed carry and/or home defense handgun. I will correct some myths women have been told by people who do not teach women how to shoot. I will teach students appropriate practice drills. Students will shoot a .22, .25, .380, .38 spcl, .357 mag, 9mm, .40, .45 caliber handguns of different sizes + a home defense shotgun.

The class is from 8-2 and cost $90 with handguns and ammo included.

For more info, go to my web site www.firearmsontarget.com. Thanks.

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If this is a troll: You want a highpoint,? might as well splurge and get a jiminez...

If not. sorry.
I would say try a S&W bodyguard, ruger lcp or lc9, baby glock, almost any 380's and most 38's to carry if you want smaller. So many options.

Home defense: Nothing is better than a shotgun. PERIOD.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FOr concealed carry i recommend going to the 2A range and trying out a bunch of different guns. When you go, talk to someone at the counter, tell them what you are there for, and they will be very willing to help you and your wife out.

After you figure out what you guys want, I'd talk to Patrick, known on here as Reddog1, he can get you pretty much anything and he usually has the best prices in BA.

I would also consider buying used, head to one of the various gun shows held here in Tulsa and you can usually get a fair price if you know what a fair price is before going. Do your homework on what the gun you want is selling for and you can probably get it for that, maybe less.

I will also add that to defend your home nothing beats a shotgun loaded with buckshot. You and your wife can both practice shooting clay pigeons with it and/or targets with lighter bird loads but definitely load it with buckshot for home defense (HD) duty.

Good luck in your search.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do not use a highpoint for self defense. I own one in 45 and yes it does shoot decently for 150 dollar gun but I'd never trust my life with it.

I second this. When it comes to saving your life you dont want to sell yourself or your family short. Of course if thats all you can afford at the time then it's better than nothing. I went shooting with a buddy last month and he had a brand new hi-point and he had at least 2 failure to feeds with each magazine he shot. We ended up discussing his next purchase because we both knew the hi point would never cut it.

If you are looking at weapons for home defense I would definitely recommend a shotgun, as a matter of fact you could get a mossberg maverick for about $140 at a pawn shop fairly easy. My maverick has ran like a top since the day I bought it.

If you want handguns only I would stick with something with a good track record. Do you want a revolver or semi-auto? For a semi-auto I would definitely look at a Glock, Smith and Wesson M&P, Springfield XD, Sig Sauer, Ruger, Keltec, Beretta Px4 (not wildly popular but a good gun) which all have mid price range options. Me and my lady each have a Springfield XD (in different calibers) which have both run flawlessly, you can also find them on OSA relatively cheap.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
+1 to GlocktoGo

Also, do you plan on both carrying at the same time? If so, you will both need guns suitable for carry. If not, you can get one of them a little larger / heavier for the range and home defense.

I'll assume since you *did* mention the Hi Point, that budget is a big part of your consideration. If you start doing your homework, you can get higher quality guns for not too much more.

I have never shot, or owned a Hi Point, so I can't say to their reliability or accuracy, but from the specs, they are too bulky and heavy to carry, and have a low capacity for home defense.

Latest posts

Top Bottom