Agressive Hogs!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any of yall got the stats on how many folks were killed by hogs in OK. last year? Thats not including in movies.

Well, you are not going to see stats about people getting killed by hogs. Its not like Mountain Lions attacking a jogger. A jogger stimulates the prey drive in a large cat just like it does in a house cat. And besides, we are so obese here in Oklahoma, we do not jog. ;)

Where people and hogs are crossing paths is when they are both hunting for food. People tend to be armed with weapons when they hunt for food, unlike when they are jogging. So when they do have an encounter with hogs, they are able to defend themselves. Its just a matter of time before somebody does get killed. It will probably be an elderly person that gets trampled when filling a deer feeder or bird feeder.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand the desire to try a new gun, but even with the best .223 bullets available, the AR depends on good shot placement. We had some young guests on our lease last year, and they wanted to shoot a hog. We found the herd, let them go unsupervised (Our mistake) and told them in no uncertain terms, pick one, shoot it in the head, and if they don't run, do another one.

Crap! Sounded like a Stallone movie. 40 shots later at a fleeing herd of hogs, there were six on the ground, only one of which was a large one, and five that wouldn't go fifty pounds. Dead pigs showed up for a week, I think 8 were found dead from wounds. Since every buzzard in southern Ok stayed around for a while, there were others we did not find. One old sow still has a horrible limp, but produces pigs and manages to stay with the herd.

I am far from in love with hogs, but think this was a very poor example of sportsmanship, and a hopefully unintended exercise in cruelty.

So, kill 'em with the AR, but place your shots and never spray and pray. Research which bullets are best and don't cheap out on something else. CB

.223 is fine for hogs - its a deep-penetrating round and with proper ammo (as you said), it will easily drop a Hog.

I'd say that poor sportsmanship is definitely right-on in your story, but I just don't think that the .223 had as much to do with it as irresponsible shooters who got excited and lost their whits for a bit.

.68-.75gr bullets are nice, but they're not even necessary - I use 55gr and have never had an issue dispatching a hog. Having extra ammo is probably a temptation for some folks to empty what they have into aggressive animals, but I'm rarely in an area where I have the luxury of wasting ammo (deep in the woods with little to no cell-coverage and the afore mentioned 2-legged critters).

If folks keep their heads right and remember that they're hunting and not at war, they should have no issues with staying safe around aggressive animals.

Bulls eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never had hogs show aggressive behavior when they had an escape route at hand.

I've hunted them and trapped them for decades now and have yet to experience an aggressive hog that wasn't wounded or trapped.

I've walked in on sows with piglets and boars in both day and night (night is legal in Texas) and none have shown me anything but their tails. Some of these were some big boys and girls too. This has been my experience. At 52 Im still open to surprises.

I would like to add though that in the 30+ years I have been pursuing them they are definitely multiplying and no matter how aggressive we trap or how many we shoot we are behind the 8 ball when it comes to controlling their numbers.

One of the few posts on this subject that makes sense:igetit:

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the poster from Durant--you may not have hogs in your exact area of interest, but they aren't far away in about every direction. Something they want isn't just where you go. Lucky you up to now, but go prepared just the same. CB

Think maybe you might have misread my post. Bryan County is infested with these things. Lake Texoma, the Red River, the Washita River and the Blue River all have sizeable hog populations. The can be found around all the small to medium size lakes we have here too. Two were even killed inside Durant last year. We hunt them not to far outside of town and have killed plenty, but since they multiply like rabbits its really a battle we can't win.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Think maybe you might have misread my post. Bryan County is infested with these things. Lake Texoma, the Red River, the Washita River and the Blue River all have sizeable hog populations. The can be found around all the small to medium size lakes we have here. Two were even killed inside Durant last year. We hunt them not to far outside of town and have killed plenty, but since they multiply like rabbits its really a battle we can't win.

Maybe when the ODWC starts releasing the mt. lions down here we will start getting the hog population in check. Especially if they release those black panthers. *snicker*

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe when the ODWC starts releasing the mt. lions down here we will start getting the hog population in check. Especially if they release those black panthers. *snicker*

You know the rules... when ever someone brings it up, I gotta post it:

ai70.photobucket.com_albums_i91_rawatkins_BlackPower.jpg

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand the desire to try a new gun, but even with the best .223 bullets available, the AR depends on good shot placement. We had some young guests on our lease last year, and they wanted to shoot a hog. We found the herd, let them go unsupervised (Our mistake) and told them in no uncertain terms, pick one, shoot it in the head, and if they don't run, do another one.

Crap! Sounded like a Stallone movie. 40 shots later at a fleeing herd of hogs, there were six on the ground, only one of which was a large one, and five that wouldn't go fifty pounds. Dead pigs showed up for a week, I think 8 were found dead from wounds. Since every buzzard in southern Ok stayed around for a while, there were others we did not find. One old sow still has a horrible limp, but produces pigs and manages to stay with the herd.

I am far from in love with hogs, but think this was a very poor example of sportsmanship, and a hopefully unintended exercise in cruelty.

So, kill 'em with the AR, but place your shots and never spray and pray. Research which bullets are best and don't cheap out on something else. CB

It wasn't these fools was it? Pretty accurate to your story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWE0-hLx2Kc

Latest posts

Top Bottom