Agressive Hogs!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First red section. My point should be obvious. Second red, not so obvious. I'll bet lunch he used a hollow point. Not good on hogs. Needs to be solid for penetration. Bronze solids would be great, but are real hard to find in pistol calibers. Solid lead works pretty well. Principle applies in spades with less powerful weapons. Gristle plate is scar tissue from hooking each other when fighting over sows. It makes Kevlar look like crochet work. CB

Your exactly right, he was using a hollow point.

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Over 200 from the swine flu. J/k, not that that's funny but I couldn't find it on the net. From what I've been told if your by yourself and a hog gets you, your not going to be found. Thy will eat you all the way and even your bones.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any of yall got the stats on how many folks were killed by hogs in OK. last year? Thats not including in movies.

No mechanism exists to collect hog kill data. Since they are not game animals, nobody knows how many. I will make a fearless guess that over ten thousand are killed or trapped annually.

Unlike deer and coyotes, pigs appear to be real car smart, and that's a good thing. a low to the ground solid mass of 200 pounds up to a lot more can do major damage and can cause loss of control. If you do hit one, unlike a deer, it's very unlikely to come through the windshield.

For the poster from Durant--you may not have hogs in your exact area of interest, but they aren't far away in about every direction. Something they want isn't just where you go. Lucky you up to now, but go prepared just the same. CB

dcmtex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never had hogs show aggressive behavior when they had an escape route at hand.

I've hunted them and trapped them for decades now and have yet to experience an aggressive hog that wasn't wounded or trapped.

I've walked in on sows with piglets and boars in both day and night (night is legal in Texas) and none have shown me anything but their tails. Some of these were some big boys and girls too. This has been my experience. At 52 Im still open to surprises.

I would like to add though that in the 30+ years I have been pursuing them they are definitely multiplying and no matter how aggressive we trap or how many we shoot we are behind the 8 ball when it comes to controlling their numbers.

Kingmarine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A few years ago a good hunting friend of ours was rushed by a hog while deer hunting. We were out hunting as usual and he said he saw it go by sniffing the ground. Shortly after that he was watching a doe in front of him and she started acting all concerned then he heard something coming. He spun and got two shots off with his .270. One of the shots ripped the boars neck wide open. Every since then we carry sidearms while hunting our property just in case. That was about a 300 lb pig.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is how I roll! All though I have walked up on them before with just my black powder gun. Not near enough bulletts for a group of 20 or so with a big a$$ sow and little ones!
I've got to get my AR done. I really want to use it on them.

I understand the desire to try a new gun, but even with the best .223 bullets available, the AR depends on good shot placement. We had some young guests on our lease last year, and they wanted to shoot a hog. We found the herd, let them go unsupervised (Our mistake) and told them in no uncertain terms, pick one, shoot it in the head, and if they don't run, do another one.

Crap! Sounded like a Stallone movie. 40 shots later at a fleeing herd of hogs, there were six on the ground, only one of which was a large one, and five that wouldn't go fifty pounds. Dead pigs showed up for a week, I think 8 were found dead from wounds. Since every buzzard in southern Ok stayed around for a while, there were others we did not find. One old sow still has a horrible limp, but produces pigs and manages to stay with the herd.

I am far from in love with hogs, but think this was a very poor example of sportsmanship, and a hopefully unintended exercise in cruelty.

So, kill 'em with the AR, but place your shots and never spray and pray. Research which bullets are best and don't cheap out on something else. CB

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I certaintly didn't mean that to come out like I was going to go Rambo on them. Just merely excited to finish my build and take out a few piggies and add a little ham to the freezer! I'm an ethical hunter and believe you don't need more than one shot if you wait for the right time and have a clear shot for proper shot placement.

Latest posts

Top Bottom