Agressive Hogs!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry two speedloadeers with my .44, and practice using them frequently.

I personally know of one hog attack where a lady lost a kneecap and a couple tendons. This was a few years ago, and she made a good recovery. Her little dog, however, is still dead. The dog ran onto a sow with pigs, went running back to mom, and I think mom got between them to bad effect. No gun was present at the time, unfortunately.

I will not be surprised when we hear the first report of a fatality. A rip up the inside of a thigh with the "tushes" some of them carry could easily get the femoral artery, and that's a ticket out of town in a very short time.

The danger has not been adequately published. I would hate to hear of a hog hunter getting killed, but what I really don't want to happen is someone with a fishing pole and a grandkid ending up as hogfeed.

Nothing else in our environment, despite stories about cougars, coyotes,
Bigfoot, and other real or alleged local critters, is as likely to actually kill someone. CB

Quoted for the absolute truth! Alot of people think of pigs as lazy and cute. These things are out of control pretty much in every state now. Me and a fishin buddy was catfishing on the Washita River one night and had one come up on us. No guns were present so it didn't take us long to get out of our chairs.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
edit: ezbake, just read your post. Monday I was talking with a taxidermist who told me he took a bunch of 9mm bullets from under the skin of a big boar somebody had tried to finish off with his pistol. He said that if those had been used on a healthy hog, the shooter would have been hogfeed. I think you might consider a light, easy to carry big bore of some kind as a defensive weapon. CB

I assure you that I'm not going after them with it - but by golly if I'm stuck in a tree (which would mean that my rifle has failed me and I had to run), there's going to be some hogs around me that get shot with a 9mm for sure (and Federal Hydra-Shok +Ps, Winchester Ranger +P+, or Speer Gold-dot +Ps are going to get the job done - at least if I'm safe in a tree).

I don't want to get into the whole "there's no such thing as knock-down power" argument, but the best way to kill a Hog is the same way to kill large game / stop any other threat - by taking out a vital part of it with good penetration and damage. I realize that 9mm isn't optimal for this, but neither are rounds like .45acp or other slower bullets.

I'm conscious of the limitations of my CCW gun, but again - its only there in case my rifle fails (and/or my extra mags run out :D).

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The big boar in my avatar picture was taken with a .45 auto.

I've killed deer with a 1911.
Its more than capable of killing a hog.
If its put in the right place.
One must know the anatomy of a hog.
I hunted hogs on the Blue river a couple of years ago and a guy hit a hog with a .44 mag factory.
Shot it where one would shoot a deer. It ran and he shot again and dropped it with a luck head shot. Found his bullet fully expanded on the outside of the gristle plate behind the shoulder.

Hog vitals are further forward and lower than a deer.

For that matter, hogs are not super animals. Just shoot them in the right place.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hunted hogs on the Blue river a couple of years ago and a guy hit a hog with a .44 mag factory.
Shot it where one would shoot a deer. It ran and he shot again and dropped it with a luck head shot. Found his bullet fully expanded on the outside of the gristle plate behind the shoulder.

For that matter, hogs are not super animals. Just shoot them in the right place.

Excellent points. The one in my avatar picture was a head shot. Dead center between the eyes. The hollow point penetrated all the way through the skull. We found the bullet lodged in the backstrap. Like you said, shot placement is crucial.

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Y'all have got me skeeved out with this stuff. I walked out of the woods with my pistol in hand, cocked and locked, all Die Hard-like, and I don't even have hogs.

This is how I roll! All though I have walked up on them before with just my black powder gun. Not near enough bulletts for a group of 20 or so with a big a$$ sow and little ones!
I've got to get my AR done. I really want to use it on them.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

First red section. My point should be obvious. Second red, not so obvious. I'll bet lunch he used a hollow point. Not good on hogs. Needs to be solid for penetration. Bronze solids would be great, but are real hard to find in pistol calibers. Solid lead works pretty well. Principle applies in spades with less powerful weapons. Gristle plate is scar tissue from hooking each other when fighting over sows. It makes Kevlar look like crochet work. CB

Rolando

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"It is truly a scary thought (especially when hunting alone or with one of your kids) when you realize that if they get you down on the ground, no gun will help you at that point."

Better start thinking about a hog rasslin knife.

I didn't get a deer last year but I did get a sow. I was hunting alone and saw the pig through my binoculars. First thing I thought of was if it was alone or in a pack. I'll be on the lookout for roving packs of man eating piggies!

guns are dumb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad was just telling me a story about his neighbor when he was in high school getting a flat out in the country. He stopped to change the tire and while bent over next to the jack a wild boar came up behind him and bit down on his inner thigh, butt, and more sensitive area. Apparently the guy lost both of the berries, but the twig was left intact. Dad said they went back looking for the hog and never could find it, he said based on the neighbors description it was a pretty big hog. But I would imagine anything would look big if it where gnawing on your bits.

I've heard other stories of pig aggression but that was the worst and the only one involving a male.

Latest posts

Top Bottom