Agressive Hogs!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK. I got the straight scoop from my friend that it happened to and the story is pretty much right on. They had time to jump in the cab and the big red boar hit the door they had just slammed within seconds. They had the tailgate closed and one hog jumped up on the back and was trying to grab the deer's hoof sticking up. They had not dragged the hog to the truck but had driven the truck out to where the deer fell when the hogs came out of a slew near them and ran toward them. The mz they had shot the doe with was not loaded but his son, the girl's dad, was with them too and had his loaded but could not get a clear shot on his side of the truck. The 35 hog number came from when they drove off in the truck to 400 yards and counted the group still running around near the pond in the tall grass. They said they counted 10 big hogs and 20 between 75-100 lbs and could see grass moving where smaller ones were moving around but could not see their backs. He got together with some local landowners and began driving around the area looking at cut soybean fields and he said the hogs are tearing the whole area up. Maybe the cut soybeans have got the group congregated on that area heavier than normal? He is carrying a pistol from now on though. He called the gw and told him he was going to start carrying and he said, " Heck, carry 2 or 3!".

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a friend who recently passed, but he used to swear that hogs would follow him out of the woods when he was dragging one of their buddies. Said it was the creepiest feeling he ever experienced. You could hear them snorting and grunting all around him, but couldn't see them as it was getting dark.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you really need a large magnum caliber(44 mag, 454 etc) hand gun to take out a big pig or would a high cap .45 gun like a Glock 21 be a suitable gun to carry for such a situation?

I carry a Glock 21 and have not had any problems dropping a hog in their tracks. You need to hit them with something big enough that knocks them down and stops them from charging into you. If they can knock you onto the ground, they can do some serious damage. People saying you just shoot them with a 22 MAG with well placed shot behind ear must not have been jumped by a large pack at night. I used to just carry one magazine until I got jumped by a pack of hogs in the dark and had to fight my way out.

TerryP

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a friend who recently passed, but he used to swear that hogs would follow him out of the woods when he was dragging one of their buddies. Said it was the creepiest feeling he ever experienced. You could hear them snorting and grunting all around him, but couldn't see them as it was getting dark.

I have had deer do something like this to me before.
If it were feral hogs... I'd hafto bug out.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
[/COLOR]
I carry a Glock 21 and have not had any problems dropping a hog in their tracks. You need to hit them with something big enough that knocks them down and stops them from charging into you. If they can knock you onto the ground, they can do some serious damage. People saying you just shoot them with a 22 MAG with well placed shot behind ear must not have been jumped by a large pack at night. I used to just carry one magazine until I got jumped by a pack of hogs in the dark and had to fight my way out.

+1......................

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry two speedloadeers with my .44, and practice using them frequently.

I personally know of one hog attack where a lady lost a kneecap and a couple tendons. This was a few years ago, and she made a good recovery. Her little dog, however, is still dead. The dog ran onto a sow with pigs, went running back to mom, and I think mom got between them to bad effect. No gun was present at the time, unfortunately.

I will not be surprised when we hear the first report of a fatality. A rip up the inside of a thigh with the "tushes" some of them carry could easily get the femoral artery, and that's a ticket out of town in a very short time.

The danger has not been adequately published. I would hate to hear of a hog hunter getting killed, but what I really don't want to happen is someone with a fishing pole and a grandkid ending up as hogfeed.

Nothing else in our environment, despite stories about cougars, coyotes,
Bigfoot, and other real or alleged local critters, is as likely to actually kill someone. CB

Latest posts

Top Bottom