Air Guns a brave new world

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
RWS side cocker will stay with you for generations.

Barrel cockers will last a couple hundred rounds before degrading. We bought 4 barrel cockers at the plant. They lasted a couple of months.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why go .22 over .177 in an air gun? I need to maybe shoot some mice if I can't deal with them more humanely and I am considering a nicer .177 air gun. I have a 12yr old daisy that have never worked will to load a pellet but I do not like to shoot bb's so it's time for something designed for pellets. I want something quiet in .177....can anyone recommend?

ckupe

New to the site!
Reaction score
Many stopped by and there is an interest in shooting longer distance bench rest, and some want to shoot big bore matches. I had several ask what the best air gun to shoot is. My answer whatever you have in hand and any brand that you like for looks and or style, I have fun shooting any air gun.

securitysix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why go .22 over .177 in an air gun? I need to maybe shoot some mice if I can't deal with them more humanely and I am considering a nicer .177 air gun. I have a 12yr old daisy that have never worked will to load a pellet but I do not like to shoot bb's so it's time for something designed for pellets. I want something quiet in .177....can anyone recommend?

Pretty much anything in .177 will do if you're not shooting anything bigger or harder than a rat, and will slay mice like nobody's business. Most .177s will even take Rocky and Bugs without a problem. Quiet is subjective...to a degree, anyway. If you want super quiet, you're going to want to look at a PCP (Pre-Charged Pneumatic). These get expensive in a hurry, but you'll be hard pressed to find a spring gun that is quieter than even the loudest PCPs.

I fired a few rounds out of my .22 caliber Diana/RWS 52 today and was reminded of exactly how loud it was. In fact, I found myself fighting a pretty severe flinch that I don't have when shooting a .22 LR, even without hearing protection.

As for why one would pick a .22 over a .177, a lot of people don't. For those that do, it's usually about muzzle energy. You'll get a lot more velocity out of a .177, but the .22 will give more muzzle energy. If you want to take bigger critters (possums, coons, skunks, etc.), muzzle energy becomes your friend.

Maverick21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Love my air gun collection. My favorite is the one on the far right.

images.tapatalk_cdn.com_15_12_21_6f4948dba979caf8d9fb3065e0750eb8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ckupe

New to the site!
Reaction score
I shoot 10 meter .177 is the only allowed caliber for matches, but it’s good for short distance and small critters, I use .25 for longer target shooting 25 meter and 50 meter and larger critters, I like the heaver weight and higher FPE’s, and the 308 Quackenbush or other 30cal and up for hogs about 40 yards. It totally depends on what you are going to do but general plinking you cannot beat the .177

cinco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.177 vs. .22

I remember reading that in many areas/cities/incorporated areas anything .22 and above is considered discharge of a firearm - or some such thing. Just something to research and consider.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw a video once that came out of Europe somewhere. Germany or England maybe? Anyway, it was a couple of guys that hunted barn rats with air rifles. They had some night-vision-equipped air rifles and would climb into a high place in farmers' barns. They were shooting video through the night scope and it was amazing footage. I can only guess that the farmer was paying them to eradicate the rats. They would kill hundreds of rats in a single night and the action was non-stop. Like a shooting gallery. The gunshots were quiet enough that the little vermin wouldn't scatter, but would just look at the rat next to him that was suddenly break dancing for no reason.

If I had access to a rodent-rich barn, I'd buy me a set-up like that in a minute.

IndVet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw a video once that came out of Europe somewhere. Germany or England maybe? Anyway, it was a couple of guys that hunted barn rats with air rifles. They had some night-vision-equipped air rifles and would climb into a high place in farmers' barns. They were shooting video through the night scope and it was amazing footage. I can only guess that the farmer was paying them to eradicate the rats. They would kill hundreds of rats in a single night and the action was non-stop. Like a shooting gallery. The gunshots were quiet enough that the little vermin wouldn't scatter, but would just look at the rat next to him that was suddenly break dancing for no reason.

If I had access to a rodent-rich barn, I'd buy me a set-up like that in a minute.

Seen that one, looks like fun.

I have a Beeman R10 I bought in 1990 to control rats that took up residence in a wood pile out back.

I still use it for destructive rodents and it's an amazing shooter.

Latest posts

Top Bottom