AK or AR pistol Open Carry?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had trouble finding out if openly carrying a slung AK or AR pistol (or comparable rifle caliber pistol) will be legal in November. I know in some open carry states it is. I don't own one but I can see the advantage to having a rifle caliber pistol. What's the word?

I can think of several disadvantages (weight, bulk, muzzle flash/blast, etc..) and no advantages. Please enlighten us.

And, it would be another kick in the shins for those that do want to open carry. People who are uneducated about firearms will point and shout...."RUN, he's carrying a machinegun" and then the sounds of sirens will be heard.

The only ones I've heard about carrying this type of "pistol" are attention seekers who want to make a name for themselves on Youtube.

+1

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In general, this is what you are allowed to carry:
Title 21 Section 1290.2 said:
"Pistol" means any derringer, revolver or semiautomatic
firearm which:
a. has an overall length of less than sixteen (16) inches
and is able to be fully concealed from detection and
view,
b. is capable of discharging a projectile composed of any
material which may reasonably be expected to be able
to cause lethal injury,
c. is designed to be held and fired by the use of a
single hand, and
d. uses either gunpowder, gas or any means of rocket
propulsion to discharge the projectile.
B. The definition of pistol for purposes of the Oklahoma Self-
Defense Act shall not apply to homemade or imitation pistols, flare
guns, underwater fishing guns or blank pistols.

This is how you are allowed to carry:
Title 21 Section 1290.2 said:
“Unconcealed handgun” means a loaded or unloaded pistol
carried upon the person in a belt or shoulder holster that is wholly
or partially visible, or carried upon the person in a scabbard or
case designed for carrying firearms that is wholly or partially
visible;

No mention of a sling here.

The exception being when you are on your own property, than anything goes:
Title 21 Section 1289.6 said:
A person shall be permitted to carry loaded and unloaded
shotguns, rifles and pistols, open and not concealed and without a
handgun license as authorized by the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act,
pursuant to the following conditions:
6. For lawful self-defense and self-protection or any other
legitimate purpose in or on property that is owned, leased, rented,
or otherwise legally controlled by the person

gun001guns

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would not do it either, but I agree with climbtothebeet. I will even go as far as to say in my opinion its a bad idea and not practical. However the thing that gets me is how many folks on this sight seem to be of the liberal mentality the "I don't like it or agree with it" so nobody should do it. I should not be surprised though I have read so many liberal minded post on her related to politics its almost enough to make me sick. I try to live by the motto or philosophy that I take care of me and do what is right for me and let everyone else do the same. I say if its legal and you like it do it. I won't be the guy carrying some single action six gun in a cowboy rig with leather tied to my leg, but if I see a guy doing that it won't bother me at all.

So many people on this sight think they are the be all end all when it comes to firearms, shooting and what is appropriate for carrying. Most are not. I'm in law enforcement and carry a gun and a daily basis and have for the past 10+ years. Most cops here in OK are that up tight about guns unless you get up in the metro areas.

maybe at some point we could have a open discussion that doesn't involve name calling and have the objective of making the OP look stupid. Give your opinion and move on. End of rant!

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would not do it either, but I agree with climbtothebeet. I will even go as far as to say in my opinion its a bad idea and not practical. However the thing that gets me is how many folks on this sight seem to be of the liberal mentality the "I don't like it or agree with it" so nobody should do it. I should not be surprised though I have read so many liberal minded post on her related to politics its almost enough to make me sick. I try to live by the motto or philosophy that I take care of me and do what is right for me and let everyone else do the same. I say if its legal and you like it do it. I won't be the guy carrying some single action six gun in a cowboy rig with leather tied to my leg, but if I see a guy doing that it won't bother me at all.

So many people on this sight think they are the be all end all when it comes to firearms, shooting and what is appropriate for carrying. Most are not. I'm in law enforcement and carry a gun and a daily basis and have for the past 10+ years. Most cops here in OK are that up tight about guns unless you get up in the metro areas.

maybe at some point we could have a open discussion that doesn't involve name calling and have the objective of making the OP look stupid. Give your opinion and move on. End of rant!
Well said and I agree.

Latest posts

Top Bottom