Amatuer Rfle stock refinining question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catvtony

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, so i started refinishing my own rifle stocks a few years ago, mostly info from the net. Most have come out pretty good, i am in the process of refinishing one of my friends grandfathers single shot .22 rifle stocks that he plans on giving to his stepson for Christmas.
Here is my question, the stock is looking great, almost done, let the coat of True oil that I just applyed drie, then a light sanding of rough spots and one more coat to finish the job.

On all the stocks I have done so far the inside of the grip, where your fingers would rest, comes out way darker than the rest of the stock. I have noticed this on every stock that i have done so far, i strip that area down just like the rest of the stock, but it always comes out way darker.

Any suggestions?

deli_llama

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
that is most likely because that is end grain. End grain likes to soak up stain more readily than the face or edge of the wood. i bet if you look at the end of the forend or butt stock, it is daker there too. I wonder if a wood conditioner would help you.

catvtony

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand your point, and I agree with you. What could I use to condition the wood where it would not soak up so much of the stain?
It's not like I do this everyday, it's just a hobby. I get better with every one that I do, but would like to overcome that one little flaw.

Latest posts

Top Bottom