Ammo Sightings--Lawton

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tumbleweed

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a new sign on Quanah Parker Trailway between 52nd and 67th that says:

ACADEMY Opening July 12th or 17th... I cant remember.

I can't wait. I can get ammo/hunting gear at Academy, and Jenifer can get everything else at Target.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is a new sign on Quanah Parker Trailway between 52nd and 67th that says:

ACADEMY Opening July 12th or 17th... I cant remember.

I can't wait. I can get ammo/hunting gear at Academy, and Jenifer can get everything else at Target.

Just why do you think Academy will have more or more readily available ammo than Walmart?

BallisticBiker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Because it costs more and because of the other threads on this board about the OKC Academy and their ammo supply. At least, that's why I think ammo will be more readily available there. Not to mention that they are a sporting goods store, not a department. Ammo will be the life-blood of that place. People can buy tennis shoes and basket balls anywhere.
Big5 Sports has ammo all the time, but you don't see or hear any of us talking about it. Price is too high... Unfortunately, I've heard that OKC Academy's ammo prices are on par with Big5's.
We'll just have to wait & see...

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Because it costs more and because of the other threads on this board about the OKC Academy and their ammo supply. At least, that's why I think ammo will be more readily available there. Not to mention that they are a sporting goods store, not a department. Ammo will be the life-blood of that place. People can buy tennis shoes and basket balls anywhere.
Big5 Sports has ammo all the time, but you don't see or hear any of us talking about it. Price is too high... Unfortunately, I've heard that OKC Academy's ammo prices are on par with Big5's.
We'll just have to wait & see...

You may be right but I have gone into Big-5 regularly for months, because my wife deals with the Humane Society animals on display in the same strip mall, and I have only rarely found the pistol calibers that are in short supply - 9mm Luger, .38 spl, .380 ACP - certainly NOT what I would call "all the time" though perhaps more often than WM. What has been consistent anytime I've seen the ammo in-stock is that prices were very high (much higher than WM) and the ammo was in short supply. On balance I don't think Big-5 is an improvement over WM. Maybe Academy, a bigger volume retailer, is better positioned than Big-5 but we'll have to see. One can always hope...

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You may be right but I have gone into Big-5 regularly for months, because my wife deals with the Humane Society animals on display in the same strip mall, and I have only rarely found the pistol calibers that are in short supply - 9mm Luger, .38 spl, .380 ACP - certainly NOT what I would call "all the time" though perhaps more often than WM.

Big5's problem having ammo available is the same as WalMart's - people that know when the ammo comes in and gets stocked, then camp out until they can buy whatever's on the shelf (in Lawton the ammo comes in and is stocked every Friday morning, BTW - right now they're on summer hours and open at 9:00). They actually get less and less often than WalMart, and set arbitrary limits on their sales - sometimes it's three boxes per person per day, sometimes it's two, sometimes it's one box per family per day, etc. - the limits being set and changed by the manager(s) at the local store, not as a matter of corporate policy.

My observation when visiting the Academy stores in OKC is that they do get and keep more stock, and though they also have the "first in when the doors open" crowd (though significantly smaller than the ones that show up at Lawton WM's) their limit of "one box per caliber, three boxes total" per day seems to "spread the wealth" a bit better than either WM's or Big5's, resulting in a higher likelihood of having it available throughout the day. Their prices are definitely higher than WM, close to though possibly not quite as high as Big5. For example, I bought a 20 box pack of Federal .223 at WM for $8.95 and as luck would have it saw the same at Big5 for $16.95 and at Academy for $14.95 - give or take a few cents either way, I'm working from memory - all within a matter of a few days.

At least that's what I've seen.

Latest posts

Top Bottom