Another Flag Post

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After 21 yrs in the Marine Corps I learned a lot about flag etiquette. Now that I am a business owner I am shocked at the things people complain about. I buy a new flag at least 6 to 8 times a year. And the ones I buy are hurricane flags at $250 a pop. Oklahoma wind is hard on flags that are flown 24/7. I agree with you that they shouldn't be flying that flag. I can tell you that I get more complaints if I am NOT flying a flag then I ever do with one that is boderline unserviceable.

Semper Fi Brother. I'd appreciate if you and everyone else would call and complain. It just breaks my heart to see a flag like that.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The VFW recommends doing a double stitch on the flying end of the flag in areas where hi winds could fray it.

I just had a thought, and it is my thought only....
If a person used a little RTV silicon, spread thinly on either side of the "flying end" of the flag to prevent becoming ragged, would it meet flag etiquette??

It would certainly slow down the process.

de-evoproject

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After 21 yrs in the Marine Corps I learned a lot about flag etiquette. Now that I am a business owner I am shocked at the things people complain about. I buy a new flag at least 6 to 8 times a year. And the ones I buy are hurricane flags at $250 a pop. Oklahoma wind is hard on flags that are flown 24/7. I agree with you that they shouldn't be flying that flag. I can tell you that I get more complaints if I am NOT flying a flag then I ever do with one that is boderline unserviceable.

You sir, have my respect. We that have served should set the example and hold others accountable. Sounds like you are continuing your duty and i know i try to. From an Army cat to a Marine, much respect and a mighty big "HOO-AH."

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We don't need a law to protect a piece of cloth. The flag is not our country, it's a symbol. I love and respect it, but I refuse to give you or anyone else the right to piss me off with what you do with your piece of cloth, because to a flag burner that's all it is to them.

I got this from my late FIL who landed at Normandy, and went all the way to Berlin. His attitude surprised me, but I think he made a valid point. I sure miss him. CB

RaysZ71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We don't need a law to protect a piece of cloth. The flag is not our country, it's a symbol. I love and respect it, but I refuse to give you or anyone else the right to piss me off with what you do with your piece of cloth, because to a flag burner that's all it is to them.

I got this from my late FIL who landed at Normandy, and went all the way to Berlin. His attitude surprised me, but I think he made a valid point. I sure miss him. CB

I guess a Bald Eagle is just a bird too. There's a law protecting that, it's a symbol of our country, right? Why not the flag, might be just a piece of cloth to you but it's a bigger meaning to the ones that fight for it.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

+1 Cheers to your FIL, sounded like a good man.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess a Bald Eagle is just a bird too. There's a law protecting that, it's a symbol of our country, right? Why not the flag, might be just a piece of cloth to you but it's a bigger meaning to the ones that fight for it.

They were on the endangered species list starting in 1940 because local populations were disappearing, so they became illegal to hunt, kill, harass, etc. I think populations have recovered and it's on the "Least Concern" list.

Not saying I'd ever pop a bald eagle, but that's why they're illegal to kill. The Act that made it illegal in the first place is still in effect, but only for population protection reasons, not symbolism reasons.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

:clap3: Your FIL's wisdom just about covers my point of view on the issue.

Latest posts

Top Bottom