Another Flag Post

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just did my daily phone call, they still dont' care. I'm sure they are tired of hearing from me and everyone else who calls. "Sir, we understadn the flag is not in the best condition. We have been averaging over 100 calls a day. We will replace it as soon as we can" I think she meant there gonna raise the postage prices again before they fix it.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We don't need a law to protect a piece of cloth. The flag is not our country, it's a symbol. I love and respect it, but I refuse to give you or anyone else the right to piss me off with what you do with your piece of cloth, because to a flag burner that's all it is to them.

I got this from my late FIL who landed at Normandy, and went all the way to Berlin. His attitude surprised me, but I think he made a valid point. I sure miss him. CB

Your FIL makes a great point. He sounded like a man full of wisdom. If this wasn't a government facility, I would not be up in arms like this. To each his own, but its our government doing this.

RaysZ71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They were on the endangered species list starting in 1940 because local populations were disappearing, so they became illegal to hunt, kill, harass, etc. I think populations have recovered and it's on the "Least Concern" list.

Not saying I'd ever pop a bald eagle, but that's why they're illegal to kill. The Act that made it illegal in the first place is still in effect, but only for population protection reasons, not symbolism reasons.

True but do you not think the flag should be protected? Specially when it's a government entity disrespecting it??

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hell, we pledge allegiance to it (or used to) and our National Anthem is about it. Tell every vet who watched it go up on Mount Suribachi or the Citadel in Hue that it's just a piece of cloth. You're right it's a symbol. What are we gonna do hoist up a bucket of dirt or fly a picture of the current President? ...Ugh, that thought gives me shivers.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
True but do you not think the flag should be protected? Specially when it's a government entity disrespecting it??

Oh, I think government entity treating the flag improperly should get the smack down, but for the rest of society such measures are intrusive and unneeded, no matter the symbol in question.

There are enough good people like you, KRoberts, and everyone else on this board watching out for proper usage of the flag that trying to legislate a fix would be redundant and just one more thing on the plate of already busy LEOs.

Like I said, I'd never do anything to disrespect the flag, I just think it's a bad idea when symbols and the ideas for which they stand are not something that need to have a law protecting them, whether it be the flag, the seal, the national flower (the rose), or the national tree (the oak). What about apple pie? It may not stand for America as much as the flag does, but it sure is synonymous with America. What are we as a society doing to protect those other things? Do we need a law dictating the proper way to trim roses, cut down oaks, or segment apple pies, by penalty of law?

Not the best examples in the world, but I think my point comes across. I'm all for actual government entities being punished if they disrespect the flag, but such laws are not needed for private society.

Having said that, I don't fault anyone who thinks there needs to be laws governing such behavior. We just disagree.

RaysZ71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh, I think government entity treating the flag improperly should get the smack down, but for the rest of society such measures are intrusive and unneeded, no matter the symbol in question.

There are enough good people like you, KRoberts, and everyone else on this board watching out for proper usage of the flag that trying to legislate a fix would be redundant and just one more thing on the plate of already busy LEOs.

Like I said, I'd never do anything to disrespect the flag, I just think it's a bad idea when symbols and the ideas for which they stand are not something that need to have a law protecting them, whether it be the flag, the seal, the national flower (the rose), or the national tree (the oak). What about apple pie? It may not stand for America as much as the flag does, but it sure is synonymous with America. What are we as a society doing to protect those other things? Do we need a law dictating the proper way to trim roses, cut down oaks, or segment apple pies, by penalty of law?

Not the best examples in the world, but I think my point comes across. I'm all for actual government entities being punished if they disrespect the flag, but such laws are not needed for private society.

Having said that, I don't fault anyone who thinks there needs to be laws governing such behavior. We just disagree.

I totally agree but when in battle, we don't hang a rose, an oak tree or apple pies from our Humvees, do we? When we landed on the moon, we didn't leave an apple pie or planted an oak tree, did we? Those are symbols that mean a lot but to us internally. The Flag is International. When you think of United States, it's always the flag. When people are mad at us, they burn the flag, not throw apple pies on the ground or burn oak trees. That's all Im saying. I think most people disrespect it because they don't know.

Latest posts

Top Bottom