1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Another Mosin (stock) Refinish

Discussion in 'Military Surplus' started by Catt57, Jan 11, 2016.

1. gfercaks33

gfercaks33 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Sorry to derail this thread and turn it into a bouncing refinishing ideas in eachother.

Oh I'm dying it with rit due for the stain I did a red one and finished with tru oil, my only complaint with the tru oil is I had to build up 15+ coats to make it look presentable and runs were difficult to get rid of.

I'm making a stock like this again because I think I'm tired of the red and I'm bored haha.

[​IMG]

2. Catt57

Catt57 Gill-Gun Guru

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    None taken. Everyone has their own methods and goals. Always glad to hear another opinion.

3. coolhandluke

coolhandluke Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Looks like you are already pretty familiar with the process on staining the stock with dye. That's a nice uniform color. I am definitely not a fan of Tru-Oil...it isn't nearly as easy to work with as tung oil finish and the plastic polymerized finish just plain looks tacky on most stocks.

I'll start a separate stock refinishing photo thread in the milsurp section so that I don't hijack Catt's thread any more than I already have. Sorry Tim!

4. Catt57

Catt57 Gill-Gun Guru

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    no worries. it was a good hijack. lol